Young rooster ID?

Bstruss

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2017
I have a young flock of hens which I bought from a feed store that were hatched on March 1. Of course, the hatchery only guarantees 90% hens so I am suspicious that out of the 7, the first partridge rock pictured might be a rooster. It seems to have a more developed waddle and a larger crown than the rest. Oddly, the tail feathers are less pronounced than the others, but I want to give it away if is likely a rooster. What do you folks think based on the pictures of the two partridge rocks?

I think your right. You've a cockerel. The females do feather out first and will appear to have a tail when the males don't yet. The comb is large for that age which suggests a male. I can't tell color, monitor/photo, reliably but you can in person. If any red at all in that large comb it's indeed a male. Single comb females won't show any sign of red in comb until 16 weeks of age at the earliest. Depending on breed and bird the time their combs redden up is different but it wont do so until they are reaching point of lay. So any red in combs before that on single comb birds are always male. Male combs will start showing red as early at 6 weeks of age and by 10 weeks it's a dead giveaway what sex they are.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Between those two pictures, I would agree with you.
hmm.png

What is the age? Sometimes the boys will have a very slow feather development. But usually they will be about the same for the first 8-12 weeks depending on breed in my experience. By 12 weeks they usually start to develop some saddle feathers.

Good luck finding a home! No shame in letting him feed someones' family either.

I think your right. You've a cockerel. The females do feather out first and will appear to have a tail when the males don't yet. The comb is large for that age which suggests a male. I can't tell color, monitor/photo, reliably but you can in person. If any red at all in that large comb it's indeed a male. Single comb females won't show any sign of red in comb until 16 weeks of age at the earliest. Depending on breed and bird the time their combs redden up is different but it wont do so until they are reaching point of lay. So any red in combs before that on single comb birds are always male. Male combs will start showing red as early at 6 weeks of age and by 10 weeks it's a dead giveaway what sex they are.
It's true that some of my boys are showing red by about 5 weeks. Especially the straight combs as you point out.

But the pink in the female comb can be very subjective as it often changes with flushing and excitement. The face being red can fool you that it's the comb sometimes. Being familiar with the birds helps.

I still agree that ones a boy.
smile.png

Here's another question; How long before the feet spurs usually form? I see no signs on this one, and only one of the others is showing some spurs, but it is a hen.

Thanks everyone. Here is another picture.
100% male coloring.
Here's another question; How long before the feet spurs usually form? I see no signs on this one, and only one of the others is showing some spurs, but it is a hen.
Spurs begin to develop at about 6 months of age. Some roosters never go spurs, and some hens will. It's not a reliable indicator of gender. All chicks, regardless of gender, have spur buds.

Back
Top Bottom