Young Rooster Turning in Circles

splashie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Up-State NY
About 7 weeks ago we had a Serama hatch in our incubator, along with about a dozen others. All the chicks were fine except this one.

He goes in circles all the time, he's doing fine otherwise, but he never out grew the circling.

We actually named him "Circle"! I've never had this happen in all my years of hatching chicks.

Could it be his hearing? Anyone have any ideas? He's still with the same batch he was hatched with and nobody bothers him, he actually seems to be the leader of the smaller chicks.

He is very friendly and full of energy. He will even go in circles if we whistle. That's what makes me believe it may be a hearing problem.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone else experienced this situation and what may be causing it. It's kinda endearing.

well I only know when crested birds (polish, silkies, etc...) do that but their neck twists too. They do that because one of the chicks peck them in the head. Sometimes they die and sometimes they make it. BUT only to crested birds. If yours isn't twisting his neck and falling down, its ok. =]

I haven't seen him twist his neck and so far everyone has left him alone, except to follow him around.

Our daughter takes him out a lot and plays with him so he's real friendly.

He's been doing this since he hatched. I will have to video it and post a link, hopefully I'll be able to do this tomorrow.

Quote:
yes a video would be great! I have a thread that I listed a lot of information about the twisting but I can't find it!
barnie.gif
If I don't find it by tomorrow I will re-write it in here and save the link to this thread so I won't lose it next time
wink.png

you have a nureological imbalance in the bird
high doses of Vit E and Vit B complex is neccessary to try and help the chick

I believe the chick need Vit E and B complex
do this by adding 1 Vit E 1000 mg unit
cut capsule at end and put in probiotic wet feed
now take 1/2 vit B complex tablet and crush it in tablsp and add to the probiotic wet mash
do this for two times a day this week
and twice next week
and then once a week till you see some improvement in the chicks

I would make a
probiotic wet mash for the chick
for one chicken
2 tsp of dry crumbles
4 tsp of milk
1 tbsp of yoguart
mix this for the chick to eat and add the vitamins to the wet mash if he will eat it

For mre chicks feed this for natural probiotic wet mash
what they eat in 20-30 minutes and clean wet feeder and restock dry crumbles

1 qt of dry crumbles
2 qts of milk
either fresh, sour ( made by adding 2 tbsp of ACV to gallon of milk) or buttermilk
1/4 cup of yoguart non flavored kind
mix good and feed chicks all this 2 tsp per chick
any not used put in frig

and feed next day this also
after they eat it in 20-30 minutes clean feeder out and restock dry crumbles

you can email me PM for additional help

you need to give him something like aviacharge 2000 (which is a balanced and complete supplement with the minimum recquirements (so not in therapeutic quantities) as uptake/absorption is interdependent on other vitamins and minerals... mega doses of vitamin E cannot be absorbed without selenium for instance and too much vit A can hamper the uptake of vit E > selenium has a very narrow therapeutic range by the way and is toxic in excess (the avia charge has a wee bit of selenium in it )... without knowing exactly what is wrong (it could very well be a congenital defect having something to do with the ear for instance) I understand these problems often occur with seramas...
I would also add some wheatgerm oil to his feed... this is a natural source of several important micronutrients (incl vit A and some selenium).

Wow, I can't believe the wealth of information that is shared in this forum and how quickly everyone comes to the aid of the chickens/chicks in distress and offers to share that information!

And I sure do appreciate all of you!

So hubby and I will make a run today and get the necessary products to get Circle onto the road to recovery.

It never occurred to me that it could be a neurological imbalance and that we could help him, I really did think it was a hearing issue.

I will still take a small video and post a link so that others can see the symptoms.

And I will also keep everyone updated once we get him going on the recommended road to recovery.

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

I had one that did that and I fed him by hand for a few weeks and then it was gone.

I fed him exact baby bird food with a syringe to supplement his diet, because he couldn't stand for long periods without circling.

Hope this helps
Sarree

Back
Top Bottom