Your 2024 Garden

Going over to my sister's today, to help her plant her garden. She bought raised beds and she is very nervous that she will do something wrong. This is her first garden on her own, we've had gardens growing up. I told her, better late than never. Now to teach her to can

Next year will be my first attempt with some raised beds for things like carrots and beets and maybe onions. I'm being gifted with all the pallets I want. I'll line the insides with old tarp material that is from hoop coop tops that get replaced. I've got lots of wood to fill the bottoms with too. The sun is bright here today and I hope the puddles in the garden are gone by nightfall.

Puddles are gone but way to wet to walk out on. No rain for a week now so I should be able to cultivate the middles with the tiller before then. Now have little maters to go with the little sweet corn. Maybe tomorrow I can get a close look at the sweet potatoes and check for bugs and the same with the peppers and eggplant. I think the peppers this year are the best I've ever grown. As soon as we pick our first poblano pepper we are making a pot of chili even if it is 110° in the shade. We will dry some too into Ancho peppers for storage.

Next year will be my first attempt with some raised beds for things like carrots and beets and maybe onions. I'm being gifted with all the pallets I want. I'll line the insides with old tarp material that is from hoop coop tops that get replaced. I've got lots of wood to fill the bottoms with too. The sun is bright here today and I hope the puddles in the garden are gone by nightfall.
Why line the insides?

This is the flower garden I created earlier this Spring, where a couple Rose of Sharon trees were. They died naturally and I wanted to make something nice where they'd been for 15 years.

image001.jpg

I'm thinking about moving the wheelbarrow garden and extending this new one almost to the porch. I would need to leave a path for the meter reader.

Planting started with a little experiment. A tiny fragment of a plant and a normal plant side by side. Will the tiny one flourish and make potatoes? Time will tell.
View attachment 3810593
The little tiny one on the end to off and grew very well. Our target dig date is 8-5 to 8-10. These are a 100 day to maturity variety. After the SP's are dug I think we may plant a row of collards in the same row after it is tilled up good. We can grow collards year round here.

Why line the insides?
I want to try and keep the side walls protected from rot as long as possible. Trying to think ahead a little I may put a column of gravel down the middle from the ground up to within a foot of the top to allow heavy rains to drain and not drown the plants. I lost about 15-20% of the last planting due to puddling that lasted to long.

Back
Top Bottom