Your 2024 Garden

Pics
It's a warm sunny day but still to wet for me to play in the dirt planting. Today I'm making a stand up one hill at a time seeder. My real one row seeder is giving problems with seed jamming up in the drop tube so it is not dropping any into the furrow. I think I know how to fix it but in the meantime I need to not be bending dropping any more by hand. That's a killer on my lower back. With all the corn and beans and field peas left to plant I backup system is a must have.

By lunch we may be able to plant some things. At least finally get tomatoes in. Frost is done til fall. If dry enough to till the rest of the grass out corn can go in. In a few more days beans. I think the ground is to cool yet for beans but I'm going to check the temp at 3" down and see.

Nothing planted but I did do some tilling for weeds that have come back up and took some measurements where I need to lay out rows. I can till anywhere and everywhere I need to tomorrow as the wind and sun have taken care of the wet spots.

Once I figure out how to move a cattle panel a 100 yards over rough ground I can plant tomatoes today. First I need to till the corn and bean patch so the sun this afternoon can dry and kill another layer of grass.

Once I figure out how to move a cattle panel a 100 yards over rough ground I can plant tomatoes today. First I need to till the corn and bean patch so the sun this afternoon can dry and kill another layer of grass.
Gardener Scott bends it into an arch, steps underneath, grabs it on either side of him, lifts and walks.

I loosened the soil and added rotting leaves to two new flower beds.
IMG_20240329_164917253_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240329_170412571_HDR.jpg

Irises here⬆️

IMG_20240329_125115026_HDR~2.jpg

Annuals here ⬆️

I'm slowly making progress with the vegetable raised beds.

#1 is close to the house, it's currently fallow, had carrots and turnips overwinter.

#2 has peas, and carrots have been planted on the other side:
IMG_20240321_170215545_HDR~2.jpg

#3 has direct-seeded Pink Ozark tomatoes and leaf lettuce, none which have sprouted yet. I will add two more tomato plants, probably plum. The near side is for Summer squash, but I need to amend the soil, first:
IMG_20240329_121600365_HDR~3.jpg

#4 is not quite ready, needs more soil, there's wood underneath that dirt:
IMG_20240329_121621058_HDR~2.jpg

I'm planning on beans, maybe melons. I may plant melons in bed #1.

#5 is still being built (Hugelkulture), will probably be used for fall crops:
IMG_20240329_121641976_HDR~2.jpg

It's supposed to get up to 80° this weekend, time's a wasting!

Gardener Scott bends it into an arch, steps underneath, grabs it on either side of him, lifts and walks.
There was a time when I would do that with a 100lb burlap bag of steer feed. Now I'd prefer just to carry the empty burlap bag... :) I'm paying for what I used to lift in my teens. As I sit here tonight I'm watching the clock for the time I can take my meds and go to bed. I will put one end of the panel onto of a cart and tie it down and move with the garden tractor to within a few feet of where they are going. Working smarter with age instead of harder. :)

Back
Top Bottom