Your favorite line regarding harboring fugitive chickens (illegals)

clarktx

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
NW Houston, TX
Here is what I think I will say the day one of my little honeys flies into my neighbor's backyard:

"Excuse me, but my wife inherited this really rare black parrot. It got out of the cage and flew over the fence and is in your back yard. Would you mind if I went in your back yard and retrieved it?"

Most of my neighbors believe that tomatoes grow on trees and potatoes grow on fences like cucumbers. I think it just might work.

I think that idea is great. I had a lady visiting my neighbor ask " what are those?" It was what I thought a very stupid question but I answered anyway. Then she told me if they fly over the fence that she would run away screaming. My DH said I should have tossed when of the roos at her lol. Some people just don't have any common sense. You know when she was a kid she saw chickens somewhere. Its not like this area is a big city we have plenty of livestock around. I would go with the parrot idea for sure.

:lol:Then there is the famous story about the guy who was hiding his chickens in a neighborhood with, shall we say, a bit 'snooty' home owners association...

He got silkies. When the neighbor inquired about his unusual pets, his reply 'Oh, they are "Rare Asian Ground Parrots"'

You see, chickens weren't allowed, but the HOA said nothing about rare asian ground parrots... LOL

I love how easy it is to hide your chickens in plain sight when people have no clue what a chicken looks like lol. People have forgotten how their ancestors lived.

Clark,
As you may know I have been trying to get my chickens legal. I thought about saying that I have a herd of cute bunnies in my pen.(You can't see what is in it because of the high plywood kick boards). That is until yesterday, when I noticed the five black heads peeking out over the top. Now what!?!
Not to mention they have been climbing on top of their temporary coop and flying down to land on each other. Maybe, a new breed of Flying rabbits!?!
The interesting thing that I found out is that City workers are not allowed to step onto your property ( we have remote water readers). So they can't come in and look to see if you have anything illegal. Now if those darn rabbits would just keep their heads down!
big_smile.png

I'm saying this all in fun and hope with the help of people in this forum to change such a silly restriction.

I should have started this in the "fun" thread, I never scrolled down that far... Geez this forum has a lot of sections.

Yeah Stacy I'm broadcasting good feelings in your general direction.

My wife, who was born deepindaharta old europe said her grandmother used to keep the chicks in the attic. They had a fully functioning farm, but were she lived it was supa cold most of the time, so the attic was one of the warmest places in the house.

And it was just until they were big enough to join the regular flock.

I've actually wondered about converting my attic, but skylights are soooo darn tricky.

Anyway, as far as making your chickens legal... Be patient.

Here are some other ones:

"Those things? They are just some migratory birds that are on stopover."

"Yeah, prettiest vultures I ever did see" (I have black australorps)

"It was this, or a lot of bat houses. I guess its not too late to do the bat houses." (this would work best on squeamish women, but I intend to get a bat house anyway)

"well, I was going to buy one of those sharper image "white noise generators" but they didn't have the farm yard variety".

"Look at the bright side, if someone eggs your house, at least you'll be able to prove through DNA testing if it came from my chickens or not."

Actually I really like the line that some other lady had, in all seriousness... she said her doctor recommended she go on farm fresh eggs... just wave the perscription at them and tell them to go away ... hehe

I told the teenage girl across the street that my silkies and showgirls were
"African ground parrots". She said, "Really? Those are so cool"

My husband told the neighbor on one side of us that the turkens were "Miniature buzzards". I told that particular neighbor that the show girls were miniature ostriches...
lau.gif

"Have you seen my new animated lawn ornaments. Man they sure do make them realistic. Isn't technology a wonder. They were pretty pricey, but for that kind of detail and craftsmanship, well you expect to pay for it."

Of course, if you have keeping up with the Jones' type neighbors, they'll all want some of their own.

Back
Top Bottom