Yucky yolky nesting box.

AkSandy

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2022
Hi. The past 2 days my most used nesting box has had yolkish goop all over the eggs and nesting material. I’m not sure what search terms to use to find an amswer, though I’m sure one already exists. So sorry for what is likely a duplication. Thanks for the help!

Most of the time when this happens it's from an egg that gets cracked when laid. It can be from landing on other eggs or from a thin/missing shell. The hens generally eat every bit of the broken egg that they can leaving just a yucky mess on other eggs and the nesting material.

How old are the birds?
If young how long have they been laying?
What are you feeding including treats?
Do you have oyster shell available?
Is anyone acting "off"? Moving slower, isolating, not eating much, puffed up?

Most of the time when this happens it's from an egg that gets cracked when laid. It can be from landing on other eggs or from a thin/missing shell. The hens generally eat every bit of the broken egg that they can leaving just a yucky mess on other eggs and the nesting material.

How old are the birds?

How old are the birds?
Thanks so much. The checklist of things to consider was very helpful. It’s been a few days and there have been no more yolky incidents so I suspect you nailed it. I do have a hen that may have vent gleet. I am getting ready to soak her in some epsom water and take a look. She’s pretty messy. Not sure if the issues are at all related, but I assume stress can manifest in a variety of ways. This new hobby has been keeping me on my toes! Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom