Chick w/constantly "wet" rump, chirps non-stop even around mom?

Chicharron

Hatching
Jun 14, 2023
Hi, I have a nearly three week old chick (breed unknown) that seems to have a perpetually wet and sticky backside, from under her tail to about halfway up the belly. I thought pasty butt, but she was born this way and it never cleared up. There are hardly any feathers in the area. Her vent sometimes seems to stick out a little. I have seen her poop a few times, it's always light brown.

She was also born with a bad leg. Her first week of life, she couldn't stand on the leg at all. It was always bent forward at a weird angle. Now, she can stand on it a little, but still hops around on one leg like it hurts her.

She's growing wing feathers but is about half the size of her hatch mates. Doesn't look like she has grown barely at all since her first week. She also follows her mom around, cheeping as if in distress, almost constantly. Mom ignores her, probably cuz she has no idea what to do either.

What could be wrong? I have some pics of the little one. You can see how her leg is kind of bent.
IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Omg she's so beautiful! I have no idea what could cause either of those things, but omg she's adorable!! And for some reason, thanks to @EdgeC , all I can think about is sniffing baby chickens. 🤷🏻‍♀️👃🏻🐤🐥🐤🤦🏻‍♀️. Can't stop thinking about what they would smell like. 🤔😳 I must find out. Immediately. Omg I'm never gonna be the same again. 👃🏻🐥👃🏻🐤🫤 Sniff sniff

@Chicharron She’s obviously in distress and needs extra care. I’d separate her with a sibling. It’s probably way too late to do anything about the leg. Since she’s smaller than her siblings, she may not be receiving enough nutrition. A vitamin boost could help, along with her food. She’s cheeping because she’s slower than the others. She might be hungry and cold as well. I hope you can help her improve. She’s a very pretty little chick. Please keep us updated.

@Wyorp Rock

If the wet bottom has always been an issue since day one along with the bum leg I would think it's all connected. A genetic deformity that lead to the chick pooping on itself instead of out and away like a normal chick would. Sort of reminds me of urine scald, where an animal in unable to pee w/o getting it on themselves so it "scalds" their skin. Have you seen the chick poo and then get some on itself?

This chick needs extra attention. I'd probably separate it out in a clean brooder and clean its backside. Make sure it gets enough food and water. Unfortunately a genetic issue like this is probably not going to resolve on its own. If the wet bottom is because the chick constantly gets itself messy when it poos then that will be a big problem.

perpetually wet and sticky backside, from under her tail to about halfway up the belly. I thought pasty butt, but she was born this way and it never cleared up. There are hardly any feathers in the area. Her vent sometimes seems to stick out a little.

She was also born with a bad leg. Her first week of life, she couldn't stand on the leg at all. It was always bent forward at a weird angle. Now, she can stand on it a little, but still hops around on one leg like it hurts her.

She's growing wing feathers but is about half the size of her hatch mates. Doesn't look like she has grown barely at all since her first week. She also follows her mom around, cheeping as if in distress, almost constantly.
Can you please pick up the chick, clean her vent and belly and take some clear, well lit photos of the vent and belly?
Photos from the front, so we can see how she stands (leg position) too.
Thank you.

A bent forward at odd angle leg sounds like a leg bone deformity, but it's hard to tell in the photos.

The vent sticking out she may be prolapsed. Once you clean her up and we have clear photos we may be able to tell.

I agree, I'd move her to a brooder with another chick, provide her with a source of heat, fresh water and feed. Wet soupy feed may be easier for her to eat. Vitamins as suggested are a good idea too. Do provide chick grit free choice.

Keep her on puppy pads for a few days - makes it easy to see the poop and of course cleanup is easy too.

Distress peeping all the time, she may be in pain, but she may also be struggling to keep up, it not eating well, is cold since Mama is ignoring her.

She may be failure to thrive with these conditions she's dealing with. I'd see if she will come around over the next few days with being cared for.

Back
Top Bottom