Cozy Coop Heater - Pros/Cons, Pictures?

Well, I would hope that people keep their lamps clean and carefully remove dust between batches in the brooder.

Nothing is going to be safe if people don't maintain it properly.
One would hope. Likely the issue is that the heat lamp is being used in coops not a brooder. So it's not as simple as cleaning between batches, it's a permanent fixture at least through winter.

We live in a very humid environment here in waaaaaaaaaay-Southern Ohio. The temperature extremes are in the nineties during the summer and can be below zero for a few days or a week at a time in the winter. Yesterday was 70° F, tomorrow is supposed to be 30° with nights in the teens. I do have a Cozy Coop heater and use it when the temps are below 40° and my girls are molting, or when it’s below zero (even if they’re not molting). That said, I have it mounted to the wall nowhere near the roosts, don‘t leave it on all the time, AND we have a whole-house generator for when we frequently lose power. My girls do stand in front of it when they’re molting and it’s cold, but generally don’t after their feathers come back in.
ED633940-7462-402C-BF18-92CE9C042724.jpeg

This is why we say to NEVER trust that clamp.

Put the heat lamp on a chain or a wire -- not flammable string.
It's screwed in a regular light socket on the ceiling. No string to pull, regular switch.

~For a few reasons I kept the light off most nights, one being they need to sleep/rest, the next they pick on each other, and lastly, I took advice from different articles here they would be warm enough. One night it was -13. Also, I didn't want to force them to lay with more light. I did discover they laid as many or more eggs without the night heat light.

We live in a very humid environment here in waaaaaaaaaay-Southern Ohio. The temperature extremes are in the nineties during the summer and can be below zero for a few days or a week at a time in the winter. Yesterday was 70° F, tomorrow is supposed to be 30° with nights in the teens. I do have a Cozy Coop heater and use it when the temps are below 40° and my girls are molting, or when it’s below zero (even if they’re not molting). That said, I have it mounted to the wall nowhere near the roosts, don‘t leave it on all the time, AND we have a whole-house generator for when we frequently lose power. My girls do stand in front of it when they’re molting and it’s cold, but generally don’t after their feathers come back in.
View attachment 2947584
I just want to point out that ALL those cords and plugs would worry me all day/night long. One of those hens could peck at them, open up the plastic coating and that could be disastrous.

Asking a question can you put a cozy panel heater on the ceiling of a chicken coop it does get hot to the touch

It's screwed in a regular light socket on the ceiling. No string to pull, regular switch.

~For a few reasons I kept the light off most nights, one being they need to sleep/rest, the next they pick on each other, and lastly, I took advice from different articles here they would be warm enough. One night it was -13. Also, I didn't want to force them to lay with more light. I did discover they laid as many or more eggs without the night heat light.
View attachment 2947584
Lovely coop. What is the "bedding" or substrate?

Lovely coop. What is the "bedding" or substrate?
My bedding in the coop, run, and nest boxes is natural, washed, coarse grain river sand that we get by the 20-ton truck load from the local quarry. I supplement inside the coop with the occasional bag of Sweet PDZ Stall Refresher (zeolite) to keep the level of the sand up. No smell, no flies, easy to keep clean with a long-handled wok spider, but lots of dust. Another bonus is clean girls! The walk from the run to the nest box keeps their feet clean, so no poopy eggs. And they love, love, love to dustbathe everywhere!

5B50BE82-8BA6-40F6-948A-51C22E6278E4.jpeg

DD5F24DD-AA91-4E5C-9727-7169B8868B14.jpeg

7349B62E-7133-4A70-BEC0-666BB03DF29F.jpeg

(The white egg is wooden, the tiny brown egg is from my Salmon Faverolles Pullet. This was her third egg!)

04FC274C-2599-4C16-B92E-24E2F799D68D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom