Goose bulge on face

AmaiahTH

Chirping
Jun 13, 2020
Hiya,
Our gander has had this bulge on his face for months now, he seems otherwise healthy but it doesn't seem to be going away, and as there's no goose-vet around here I was hoping to get some insight here in what might be the cause/possible solutions. It did seem to get smaller at one point but started growing again a few weeks later. It feels very soft to the touch and we weren't able to find any injury marks/items lodged in his mouth.

Appreciate any help :)

Images of it:

Attachments

• goose1.jpg
    goose1.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 17
  • goose2.jpg
    goose2.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 19
No, I haven't but I remember some years back a goose had a piece of wood lodged under his tongue that caused swelling. You say you looked in his mouth can you see if it's swollen inside too? Not sure if an abscess would be soft or hard and get smaller then larger again. Have you considered using a needle to see if you can draw any fluid out of it?

No, I haven't but I remember some years back a goose had a piece of wood lodged under his tongue that caused swelling. You say you looked in his mouth can you see if it's swollen inside too? Not sure if an abscess would be soft or hard and get smaller then larger again. Have you considered using a needle to see if you can draw any fluid out of it?
Hey thanks for the reply. Yea we checked inside the mouth but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Haven't really thought about sticking a needle in no, figured best not to start poking it without knowing what it is or even could be (google isn't being much of a help with this, typing 'bulge/bump' or any synonyms for it just gives me results about the basal knob haha). So It's best to just take a needle and see what comes out?

We used a needle to poke around and see what came out but nothing did at all - it was like putting a needle inside of a pillow case. The bulge itself feels soft to the touch as well, doesn't feel like there's any fluid or tumor or anything under it. Not sure what to make of it, was hoping for some kind of fluid or pus to come out that we could drain but now it seems more like an air pocket.

I wish I knew what else to do for your gander. Does he ast like its bothering him any symptoms to think he may be sick? If not maybe try some warm Epsom salt compresses just to see if it helps with swelling?
I'm sorry no one else has replied.
Lets try @Iain Utah

It is not unusual for african/chinese to have that appearance, but the swelling would be on both sides of beak. I have only seen face swelling with a healed over injury, but a needle aspiration would reveal fluid/pus, if that was the case. I have no idea what else it could be.

Thanks for the replies :)
We'll try the epsom salt compresses sometime this weekend. It doesn't seem like it's bothering him, at least not that we can tell, and given that it's already been quite a while since it started and he seems otherwise healthy I'm thinking it's probably nothing dangerous.

If the salt doesn't work we'll give him some antibiotics.

Also, figured I'd ask another question while I'm at it anyway:
One of our goslings has an oddly shaped neck, almost swan-like, you can see it clearly on this picture where he's right behind his sibling. Is this something common/worrisome?

Attachments

• gooseneck.jpg
    gooseneck.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom