Serama hatch part 3 (and a few odds and ends!)

Pics
@ElfenLied89 I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues with your back. I had a winter accident about 5 years ago (slid on ice… ended up with a concussion and seizures for about a year. And, I damaged a few discs. The seizures totally ceased, but I still get back pain 😣). I do agree with tlc, that maybe you should just break Dollys broodiness. It’s sad she didn’t get to enjoy raising her chicks. I hope she gets another chance to be a mommy. As I was saying in one of my earlier replies, Serama chicks can do fine brooding with some LF. Fluffy just brooded the Tsoulefates (sp?) and Serama together. Mine always do really well in small brood flocks, except for when I begin separation… there’s a lot of crying for their brooder mates. And, of course this ‘softy’ places them back together and prolongs the whole process. Since I have been hatching Seramas, LF, other Bantams, and King quail this season, I brood them all together in the groups they hatch with. The biggest issue for me is the King quail crying out so much for their chicken brood mates, that I have to try several attempts at separation before they finally accept being with their own species. I still have a Bobwhite male and Serama cockerel together, because they both freak out without the other one. I sometimes create more issues for myself than needed. But, I do staggered hatches of different breeds and species in very small numbers, and separating all of them just doesn’t make sense. Every year, I vow to not brood so many different breeds… but, I never keep my vow! 🤭 Hopeless.

Back
Top Bottom