Sour crop, lethargy, 'cool' 3 week old....

chloemae

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2014
PA
Hello Everyone, I have a 3 week old chick with sour crop. She was born with wry neck which resolved, physically, with selenium and B. Yestersay she was sluggish, still moving with the crew but her crop was big which i noted for the first time, visibly. I put her in another brooder, with an older bit smaller feathered young hen who has leg issues who was bullied but who is a momma hen (they immediately snuggled up). This AM the chick is notably 'cooler', I raised the brooder plate temp which was set warm and low (I have it tilted to accommodate the young hen as well). She is lethargic and will open eyes/chirp when 'bugged' but otherwise seems to want to lean back/forward on feet and close her eyes. I have put ACV in water. I am not pushing anything right now. I have a sinking feeling I may loose this chick but I want to know I tried to do all I could as I love my critters....thank you all in advance for any suggestions!

A 3-week old chick should only be getting their starter crumbles, so not sure how it would ever get sour crop. A large crop at that age is usually because they gorged themselves, but if you think it really is, then I'd give probiotic water, like Hydro-Hen or Sav-a-Chick.

The lethargicness and listlessness sound like coccidiosis. Are any of the others acting slightly this way? I'd start them on Corid water just to be on the safe side.

I would also get a thermometer and check the temperature she's at as it should be about 80F for three-week-old chicks.

I hope she makes it!!

A 3-week old chick should only be getting their starter crumbles, so not sure how it would ever get sour crop. A large crop at that age is usually because they gorged themselves, but if you think it really is, then I'd give probiotic water, like Hydro-Hen or Sav-a-Chick.

The lethargicness and listlessness sound like coccidiosis. Are any of the others acting slightly this way? I'd start them on Corid water just to be on the safe side.

I would also get a thermometer and check the temperature she's at as it should be about 80F for three-week-old chicks.

I hope she makes it!!
Thank you for your kind and informative reply. You are correct, everyone is on starter crumbles only (sorry, by 'pushing I meant syringing fluid). They also have the chick probiotic and lytes. She was my wry neck chick initially so I am wondering if there was something underlying. Everyone else is thriving so it was just her unfortunately. They use the Brinsea brooder plate, and the room temp is 72 at minimum. I think her cool temp was indication that her body was shutting down as all of the others are warm and thriving. Unfortunately, she passed away shortly after I posted this (I tried to remove the post but did not see that as an option, only 'editing'). Thank you again for replying, I always appreciate any input as I am always learning :).

Back
Top Bottom