Anti-fungal for sour crop.

Hi—dealing with sour crop as well and wondering how your hen is doing. Also wondering what kind of probiotics and digestive enzymes you use—are they specific for poultry or just any kind? Thanks for any help!
Hi. I'd give her 2-3mls of garlic water (cloves blended up in water) every 2-3 hours and leave some kefir out for her to eat freely. If no improvement after 3 days of this treatment I'd get a prescription for Fluconazole from the vet. This will do the trick provided there's no blockage past the crop. Dose is 20 mg per kg bodyweight. Some give once a day, some give it every 2nd day. Withhold pellets until she clear. Human digestive enzymes are fine. Give her 1/4 to half a tablet daily crushed and mixed into her kefir. Cellulase should be included in the enzymes as it helps break up grass in the event there is some sort of a grass blockage at play which is often the case.

Hi. I'd give her 2-3mls of garlic water (cloves blended up in water) every 2-3 hours and leave some kefir out for her to eat freely. If no improvement after 3 days of this treatment I'd get a prescription for Fluconazole from the vet. This will do the trick provided there's no blockage past the crop. Dose is 20 mg per kg bodyweight. Some give once a day, some give it every 2nd day. Withhold pellets until she clear. Human digestive enzymes are fine. Give her 1/4 to half a tablet daily crushed and mixed into her kefir. Cellulase should be included in the enzymes as it helps break up grass in the event there is some sort of a grass blockage at play which is often the case.
Thanks—appreciate the advice. Pretty sure in her case she’s had some internal laying and that has led to sour crop. Her crop is still full and squishy but it’s been difficult to get anything to come up so I’ve quit trying that. But I know what’s in there needs to either come out or move through. She’s 9 yrs old so I’m quite attached and will hang in there with her as long as we can!

Thanks—appreciate the advice. Pretty sure in her case she’s had some internal laying and that has led to sour crop. Her crop is still full and squishy but it’s been difficult to get anything to come up so I’ve quit trying that. But I know what’s in there needs to either come out or move through. She’s 9 yrs old so I’m quite attached and will hang in there with her as long as we can!
The Fluconazole should work on a semi-full crop without you having to get the contents removed. My girl's crop was much improved after the 1st tablet and I didn't do any crop emptying with her. Yeah she could easily have a repro issue that's causing or adding to the problem. Mine had a repro infection causing severe abdominal swelling. Would it be possible to get her an implant to prevent laying if you think she is laying internally?

The Fluconazole should work on a semi-full crop without you having to get the contents removed. My girl's crop was much improved after the 1st tablet and I didn't do any crop emptying with her. Yeah she could easily have a repro issue that's causing or adding to the problem. Mine had a repro infection causing severe abdominal swelling. Would it be possible to get her an implant to prevent laying if you think she is laying internally?
Sorry I think I posted this twice! Where are you located? I’m not sure they do implants around here. But I’ve started keeping her in the garage at night and turning off the lights early in hopes of fooling her body into not trying to lay.

Sorry I think I posted this twice! Where are you located? I’m not sure they do implants around here. But I’ve started keeping her in the garage at night and turning off the lights early in hopes of fooling her body into not trying to lay.
I'm in Ireland, Europe. To prevent her from laying she'd need to be kept in around the clock for about a week. Then you could gradually let her out for an hour here and there. It's much easier to get her an implant. Total pain in the ass having to keep them in the dark all the time, plus they hate it. Far as I know some vets do implants and an avian vet definitely will. And tbh if she is laying internally it will be about the only chance you have of saving her. You're at nothing without the implant when this is the case, unfortunately. Check her for temperature. Thermometer inserted into the vent. Normal chicken temperature range is between 40-42°. They don't always show temperature with infection but most times if they are very sick they'll come in over 42°. Also check abdomen for swelling. If it feels hard this indicates abdominal swelling due to infection. If it feels enlarged but fluidy you're looking at ascites from something like egg yolk peritonitis (which is one type of repro infection they get) or repro tumour. Above checks will give you an idea of whether or not implant is warranted.

I'm in Ireland, Europe. To prevent her from laying she'd need to be kept in around the clock for about a week. Then you could gradually let her out for an hour here and there. It's much easier to get her an implant. Total pain in the ass having to keep them in the dark all the time, plus they hate it. Far as I know some vets do implants and an avian vet definitely will. And tbh if she is laying internally it will be about the only chance you have of saving her. You're at nothing without the implant when this is the case, unfortunately. Check her for temperature. Thermometer inserted into the vent. Normal chicken temperature range is between 40-42°. They don't always show temperature with infection but most times if they are very sick they'll come in over 42°. Also check abdomen for swelling. If it feels hard this indicates abdominal swelling due to infection. If it feels enlarged but fluidy you're looking at ascites from something like egg yolk peritonitis (which is one type of repro infection they get) or repro tumour. Above checks will give you an idea of whether or not implant is warranted.
I am in somewhat rural North Carolina in the US. Avian vets are hard to come by since most people around here don’t treat their chickens as pets. :( Thanks for your help—I appreciate you taking your time to answer my questions.

I am in somewhat rural North Carolina in the US. Avian vets are hard to come by since most people around here don’t treat their chickens as pets. :( Thanks for your help—I appreciate you taking your time to answer my questions.
Avian vets will see any bird including poultry. There are quite a few avian vets in North Carolina, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting her to one. I'd be fairly certain too that if you do a good ring around you'll find regular vets who will also see your hen and may be able to provide an implant. There are always vets around who will see hens. Hope she makes it.

Avian vets will see any bird including poultry. There are quite a few avian vets in North Carolina, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting her to one. I'd be fairly certain too that if you do a good ring around you'll find regular vets who will also see your hen and may be able to provide an implant. There are always vets around who will see hens. Hope she makes it.
I’ve been unable to get to a vet but I did get a couple fluconazole tablets to try. Do you have a preferred method for giving it?

Back
Top Bottom