Anyone have coturnix laying solid white eggs?

bigjohn

Songster
14 Years
May 24, 2008
Georgia
Has anyone attempted to breed for egg color? I have not seen a solid white egg from any Coturnix, but would certainly like to have birds that laid a solid color. Candeling would be a breeze!

Would this be a difficult trait to try to obtain like size/weight?

io have not bred for it, but but have had some laid. I tried to hatch it and it was infertile. It seems that the small specked eggs, not the large polkadots and the white eggs are infertile. Maybe its just my experience or maybe it is something different.??
idunno.gif

Coturnix do lay white eggs from time to time. In my experience, it's when they lay an egg early before the pattern is able to settle on the egg. You would have to breed out the egg pigment genetics in the birds, which I wouldnt even know where to start on that lol!

They are easier to candle, but only for like the first 3 days then you can't even see into the egg anyhow because the blood vessles are so numerous...so white in that small of an egg really isnt that much of an advantage (i have a white one in right now).
smile.png

Quote:
i dont wanan say it but it looks like that's just in your experience
idunno.gif
all my big spotted eggs are fertile right now as well as my white eggie
smile.png
My one that wasnt fertile was really pretty small spots and brown and greenish it reminded me of a large button quail egg in the pretty pattern, i'd take a picture of it but it was infertile and i pitched it. So my experience was opposite to yours hehe!

Quote:
i dont wanan say it but it looks like that's just in your experience
idunno.gif
all my big spotted eggs are fertile right now as well as my white eggie
smile.png
My one that wasnt fertile was really pretty small spots and brown and greenish it reminded me of a large button quail egg in the pretty pattern, i'd take a picture of it but it was infertile and i pitched it. So my experience was opposite to yours hehe!

It seems like that's what brooster was saying. The 'small specked eggs, not the large polkadots, and the white eggs are infertile.'

But that's just me, I'm not a mind reader. But I agree, a white coturnix egg is not normal, and I would doubt it would even be possible to breed for them! It would surely take a loooooong time to get it right!

My quail have laid several solid eggs, but they are not white, more of an off blue.
tongue.png
I was so excited because it was very cool, but alas, it didn't develop.
hmm.png

Even though I did get the occasional solid egg, it was never consistant and I couldn't "expect" them.

-Kim

My Texas AM laid the blue one. I was pretty dissapointed that it didn't hatch, but that's how the cookie crumbles.
tongue.png

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom