Baby chick not lifting head, standing or spreading toes

2peasinapod2009

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2016
Catahoula, Louisiana
We have a baby chick that hatched 24 hours ago and pipped 48 hours ago. Problem is it continues to imitate being in the shell. It lies ok it’s side kicking it’s little legs while trying to tuck his head under his wing. It refuses to lift its head on his own and when I stand him upright he doesn’t try to stand, lift his head or spread his toes. When he hatched the shell was really hard so we assisted in spraying warm water on the egg and the membrane. Has anyone experienced this and what should I do???

We have a baby chick that hatched 24 hours ago and pipped 48 hours ago. Problem is it continues to imitate being in the shell. It lies ok it’s side kicking it’s little legs while trying to tuck his head under his wing. It refuses to lift its head on his own and when I stand him upright he doesn’t try to stand, lift his head or spread his toes. When he hatched the shell was really hard so we assisted in spraying warm water on the egg and the membrane. Has anyone experienced this and what should I do???
O____o sounds like a very unhappy chick... does it have membrane stuck on it's fluff?... does it look fluffy or like dry slimed fluff? maybe you can take a pic?

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your chick is having trouble. :(

How many hatched in this group? Why spray warm water, was your humidity not high enough? Have you hatched before? Was this the correct hatch day when it pipped?

My chicks don't usually get their land legs on them until well after 24 hours from hatch. And aren't actively drinking and such until about 48 hours after hatch. But I have never yet experienced what you are describing. With what little hatching experience I do have... I would be surprised if that's a survivor. There is a reason many don't "assist" in hatching. And not even all who hatch on their own will survive. :hmm

What I would do is keep it warm and leave it alone.

Hoping for a good outcome. :fl :jumpy

Is it still in the incubator? Other hatchlings? Are the others doing well? Did it hatch on day 21? What about the rest? What day? I think I'd go to bed and leave it in the incubator. If it improves, fine. If not, I'm thinking it's a failure to thrive chick. It may have a neurological issue, or some internal issues. If no improvement tomorrow, I suggest that you cull it.

DF42DEB9-5252-4117-994D-03948428776A.jpeg
75025FBD-3428-424A-8795-E5731A6408BC.jpeg

Unfortunately out of 13 he was the only hatchling. Something went wrong and I’ve slowly been finding my reason why. But exactly a week today we successfully hatched 2/2 of the same breed. All stored the same way. I think for this little guy humidity went down towards the end of incubation. Come hell or high water I’d like to rehabilitate him if I can. He really wants to get up because he keeps kicking his legs like he’s trying to get up but he keeps but scooting himself about within the incubator. This is our second go round with our incubator. Our very first hatch was about 5-7 months ago and we were successful with hatching 3/3.

a quote from here: http://www.raising-chickens.org/hatching-chicks.html

"Question
Hatching chicks: I have Orpington chickens. Out of 24 eggs I have 2 chicks that lay on their sides and can't right themselves, just hours old now.

Will they get better or should I put them down? What causes this? One of them I can right it and it does OK for a while then goes on its side again till I right it again. Thank-You I have read all my books and none of them address this problem.

Answer
Hatching chicks: I would give them at least 24 hours and see if they can right themselves. As you can imagine, their last week, crammed inside the shell, is a tight fit.

Generally, during the hatching process, all muscles get exercised and pushed to their limits; connecting, coordinating, muscle and nerve messages with the brain. A chick can be exhausted once out of the shell.

A little physical therapy might help…getting them up on their feet, helping them to bear their weight on both feet equally.

If they are unable to act normally after their first day, there may have been some incubation issues that caused them to fail to develop normally. In that case, I believe, it would be inhumane to keep them alive."

there are other Q's there about the same thing.

Sounds like temperature issues. Maybe humidity, I'm still learning. But it's either one of those two or genetics.

A single chick is a LOUD upset chick, sounds like you have more that hatched a week ago though. I had one hatch last week and discovered the rest did not because my thermometer was off despite being used for very successful, previous hatches.

I see blood on the paper towel and look like a fair amount, that chick wasn't completely ready to hatch. Blood isn't normal. I do wish you the best in rehabbing that baby! :fl
kinda surprised he made it 24 hours
Many who hatch will make it to the end of their yolk supply before passing. It's about the 50 hour mark where I can tell they are eating, drinking, and importantly pooing. Before that, I don't count my chicks. :hmm They always drink actively before eating in my experience.

If I were trying to save him, I would do a drop of liquid vitamins directly below the nostrils and see if the chick will swallow. They usually do when it rolls around into their mouth. And follow up 1/2 hourly with water or electrolytes in the same fashion. Holding it in my hand of course with the head upright. Dehydration causes MAJOR issues to EVERY bodily function and is very deadly very fast.

I likely would have culled by now because I don't wan't genetic weaknesses breeding forward in my flock and refuse to watch something die slowly, once I've decided I truly don't think they will make it. But I completely understand that route isn't for everybody.

I had one that looked like this. He hatched about 24 hours ago too. I sat with him in front of a heater and massaged his little legs and joints and have him sitting in the brooder box now. I just went to check on him and he's actually not curled up in the fetal position he's kinda propped up now. I'm interested to know what happened with your little guy

Back
Top Bottom