Duck has pipped externally but no more progress in over 12 hrs

Piglet1379

In the Brooder
May 3, 2022
New here. I have a duck that externally pipped yesterday morning and last night it was bigger but no progress in over 12 hrs I’m worrried about it. First picture is the current progress as if 9 pm last night.

Attachments

• 6C0F2FB8-50BC-4907-B729-BF6679BDB1F9.jpeg
    6C0F2FB8-50BC-4907-B729-BF6679BDB1F9.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 92
  • ED544A56-AFB5-4222-BCD2-443A6E15AC2E.jpeg
    ED544A56-AFB5-4222-BCD2-443A6E15AC2E.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 20
It takes ducklings so long to hatch they are slow pokes. Can you hear the duckling peeping and see anything going on with the pip?
@DuckyDonna
@New duck mommy 2021
I haven’t heard this one peep or move since. Which is what has me worried about it.
Ducklings love to give us stress while hatching
After external pip it can take 24-48 hours to get out
Can you whistle or tap on the incubator and get baby to chirp or wiggle ?
What is your humidity at and what was it during incubation
we did the dry hatching due to being in sc and very humid. Keep it between 20-30 then on the last 3 days upped it. It’s not getting out of the 60’s.

I haven’t heard this one peep or move since. Which is what has me worried about it.

we did the dry hatching due to being in sc and very humid. Keep it between 20-30 then on the last 3 days upped it. It’s not getting out of the 60’s.
What was your air cells like ? We’re they right on par or a bit small ?
If an air cell is on the smaller side baby may external pip faster as it runs out of air but will need the same amount of time to absorb
If the air cell is bigger then it should be they tend to take longer to external pip as they have more air
20/30 is pretty low but as long as air cells were good
Is that your only egg or do you have others either hatched or pipped ?

Ducklings love to give us stress while hatching
After external pip it can take 24-48 hours to get out
Can you whistle or tap on the incubator and get baby to chirp or wiggle ?
What is your humidity at and what was it during incubation
It’s not chirping or wiggling. I have another one beside it that has tried to pip externally and it’s chirping and I’m watching that one. I also have 2 more that hasn’t pipped internal or external yet so I’m kinda waiting them out bc there was movement in all 4 eggs when I put it on lockdown.
What was your air cells like ? We’re they right on par or a bit small ?
If an air cell is on the smaller side baby may external pip faster as it runs out of air but will need the same amount of time to absorb
If the air cell is bigger then it should be they tend to take longer to external pip as they have more air
20/30 is pretty low but as long as air cells were good
Is that your only egg or do you have others either hatched or pipped ?
air cells got bigger before it pipped. I have 4 eggs in there all together and another one is starting to pip it actually has 2 spots now since I took this pic

Attachments

• 11E261C3-D220-4CCA-ADB8-9D5715F0A36D.jpeg
    11E261C3-D220-4CCA-ADB8-9D5715F0A36D.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 20
Update it was shrink wrapped 😢. But on a positive note I did make the safety air hole for the second duck since it’s been almost 24 hrs and it didn’t make it completely through the shell and it’s peeping and moving.
The air pocket on the other 2 eggs have gotten bigger as well so waiting on them to pip.

Back
Top Bottom