Duckling Breeds?

Panda Ducktress

In the Brooder
May 21, 2024
I got these 5 ducklings from tractor supply. I love them to death, but am wondering what breed they might be and if there's a way to sex them without vent sexing as I do not want to harm them. They are still small only about a week old. I believe the two yellow and black may be Black Swedish ducklings. I am new to being a duck mom, and am enjoying every minute of it. If you just have random advice as well that is appreciated. I have been reading a lot. I know that I may need to get more females as I have read many stories that tractor supply has more males than females. I am prepared for that, but I would like to know their breed perhaps if anything.

Attachments

• 20240521_162636.jpg
    20240521_162636.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 20240521_162625.jpg
    20240521_162625.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240521_162648.jpg
    20240521_162648.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 5
I got these 5 ducklings from tractor supply. I love them to death, but am wondering what breed they might be and if there's a way to sex them without vent sexing as I do not want to harm them. They are still small only about a week old. I believe the two yellow and black may be Black Swedish ducklings. I am new to being a duck mom, and am enjoying every minute of it. If you just have random advice as well that is appreciated. I have been reading a lot. I know that I may need to get more females as I have read many stories that tractor supply has more males than females. I am prepared for that, but I would like to know their breed perhaps if anything.
Black Swedish for the first pic

Black and yellows are Black Swedish, yes. I’d say the solid blacks are Cayugas given their low-to-the-ground stance. If they start to walk with a tall-stance, they’re Black Runners.

The best way to sex them then is to voice-sex. Females get a significant voice change at around 3 - 4 weeks. Males later at 8 - 10 weeks. Alternatively, you can upload a video of their voices later, and we can voice-sex them for you :)

Back
Top Bottom