Feeding

I dump my cat food bowls to the chickens. In the summer daily. I use Purina. Mine don't get a lot, and it's spread between a lot of birds. I wouldn't feed it daily in any quantity, but it can be used as a treat.

Hi, welcome to BYC! Cat food isn't ideal for chickens. If they get a little cat food, probably it's okay, but it's too rich for them to have a lot of it. Chicken feed is formulated to have the proper balance of nutrients for chickens....

Dose anyone feed there chickens cat food and if so when and dose it mater what kind
I've only done it when I had a flock of chickens and a friend had a bag of cat food they wanted to get rid of. I gave a small amount of cat food to the chickens each day until it was gone.

I've read of some people that use cat food as a supplement for chickens that need more protein (example: molting), because cat food usually has more protein than chicken food. It is often cheaper to buy a higher-protein chicken food (like chick starter) rather than buying cat food to use as a supplement for the chickens, and there is no point in giving more protein if the chickens are eating a food that already has enough.

I would recommend that chickens be fed chicken food, not cat food, for most of what they eat. But a little bit of cat food should not do any harm, and may provide small benefits in some situations.

Back
Top Bottom