Flies in the duck coop

Put down pine shavings to keep it dry in the coop.
It may help to put some pelletized lime underneath a thick layer of shavings

There's no reason you should have to clean it out every day if they aren't overcrowded

You can try Fly Predators. They are totally safe parasitic wasps that you spread around the effected area. The wasps kill the flies. It does take a little longer to work, because the wasps kill the flies when they are larvae instead of adults.

Hmmm. thats a thought. I was looking at those fly traps, but they just are so nasty to clean out! I put straw on the floor where they make the most mess. They keep their sleeping boxes pretty neat. It just on the floor area near the door. I also changed the water dish I put in there. I am using a gallon ice cream bucket. This morning, I had a lot less flies, and I am thinking its because they can not get into the ice cream bucket and spill the water. Also, I did not put any food in the coop. I fed them last night about 30 minutes before close up time. Albeit, they came out of the coop acting like they were starving big time. LOL. I will have to figure that situation out too. 12 hours is a long time to go with out food for them eaters. They eat more than my chickens...

Quote:
Straw won't absorb enough moisture, as you've already found out.

Switch to a thick bed of Pine shavings mixed with Pelletized Lime, and it will help dry the droppings and kill the odors that are attracting the files

sweet PDZ is supposed to cut down on smell and flies. It's granular and you sprinkle it uner the roosts to absorb moisture, Check out the thread on poop boards also. Lots of good info there.

Back
Top Bottom