"Frozen Chicken Syndrome"

josham

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 24, 2014
Well, I don't know the correct term for this, or if there even is a correct term, but what happens is, my chooks will just freeze in their tracks while in the middle of foraging around in the yard, and stay that way for the longest time.

There are only four of them. They'll be out free-ranging, and the freeze generally seems to be started by one of them, the oldest bird. She'll often make a very low, growling sound, and she and the three others will just freeze in their tracks for up to 15 minutes, even if they're separated by quite a distance. Not even moving a foot, or the position of the head - just frozen - hypnotised. The old hen doesn't always make an audible sound while this is happening.

At first I thought it was some kind of predator warning signal, but I've seen the real predator warning signal - different sound and different behaviour - they'll generally go running under the house! This is just odd. No sign of any danger, and anyway, the length of time of the freeze-up makes it seem more like a mesmerised state.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Most intriguing.

Cheers,
Josh.

Maybe there Mime Chickens lol, I never heard of chickens doing what you described it is very odd to me lol.
jumpy.gif

This sounds like a funny trait. One or two of my own chickens have done this, and they might just be looking at something. Chickens are strange creatures.
tongue2.gif

Mine do the exact same thing, I have 6 girls that do this (well actually 5) my Speckled Sussex is so aloof and goofy she will hold it for about a minute then go about her business. The others will hold the position like you said for 10 minutes. It's so funny like they are playing that kid game Statue.

Back
Top Bottom