Hen won't open eyes and can barely balance

Huskerchickens

Chirping
8 Years
May 24, 2011
I have a RIR hen that's in a bad way. Maybe starting a week or two ago I noticed that she didn't really roam around with the other hens. She would just stand still with her head sucked down looking like a little ball of feathers and seemed pretty sleepy. She's a little smaller than the others so at first I thought maybe she didn't care for the cold weather much. Then a few nights ago she really started getting lethargic and unable to move much. I brought her in the house thinking that warming up might help, but she seems to be getting worse. Now that I can observe her a little closer here's what I'm seeing:

- She doesn't really move at all. She's mostly laying down with her head sucked in or with it under a wing. She seems to have trouble standing/balancing.
- She won't hardly open her eyes for anything. If you pick her up she barely even reacts.
- She hasn't eaten or had any water, and I'm guessing it's been several days at least.
- Her poop is basically water and pretty foul smelling. Looks like maybe one had some solids in it, nothing is goopy or thick.
- Her waddles are a pale pink (like human skin color)

Thanks for any suggestions. The other hens seem totally fine and this is my first sick chicken.

She is definitely severely dehydrated. I agree withe enola! If you dont have what is needed for tube feeding on hand, you can try using a syringe or dropper directly in her mouth. Just pull down on the wattles and she will open her mouth. Then rub downward on her throat to help her swallow. Not too much at a time.Hopefully you have electrolytes. If not just a little sugar and water with a tiny amount of salt mixture. Orange would be better than sugar in the mixture. She needs to be hydrated ASAP! Does she have mucous in her mouth? It would be great if you could get 15 ML/CC in her right away. The more the better.

Last edited:
If she hasn't eaten or drank any water for several days, she is dehydrated. She needs to be tube fed ASAP. Pm casportpony, she can help you get supplies and walk you through the tubing.

Ok, I just got her to take two little drinks of water by holding the dish up to her beak. She opened her eyes briefly, but then just closed them up again and wouldn't respond to me trying to dip her beak in the water further.

Do you have any electrolytes? How about aquarium tubing? A 60 cc syringe? Or Corid, she sounds like she may have coccidiosis. Do you have any worm medicine? Such as Safeguard or Valbazen?

I don't really have the feeding tube stuff. For worm medicine I have Wazine.

I forgot to ask if you have checked for lice and mites? Does she refuse water if you offer it to her?

I tried to look her over and move the feathers back to get a better look at her skin. I didn't notice anything really strange, but I'll have to do some research to see what exactly I should be looking for to indicate lice or mites.

Below is a recipe for homemade electrolytes. Use what you have on hand, and repeated dip her beak into the water as often as you can. Bring her inside to get warm. If you can get someone to go get Corid or amprollium in the cattle section of a feed store, you could start that in case of coccidiosis. Here is a recipe:

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute--(potassium)*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

GetThumbnail.aspx
GetThumbnail.aspx

Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water, given as the only water source for 5-7 days. After treatment give several days of probiotics and vitamins to build her back up.

Does she have mucous in her mouth? It would be great if you could get 15 ML/CC in her right away. The more the better.

When I first opened her mouth it looked like pretty thick clear mucous/saliva inside. It strung between her upper and lower beak when opened.

Back
Top Bottom