Heterochromia genetics

Anonymous__

Chirping
Sep 6, 2021
Hello everyone! I've seen color calculators and was wondering if anyone knew one for eyes? I'd love to know what blue-yellow x green eyes would make, how green-blue and general heterochromia originates, and how heterochromia varies across species. I haven't found much online so if you know some information on the matter I would love to hear from you!

Can I see the heterochromatic bird? Usually in chickens it is caused by Occular Mareks.
The example I gave was more based on cats/dogs. I've owned turkeys with sectoral blue-black heterochromia though and a chicken with marbled eyes years back so I know birds can have it heterochromia, too. It's mostly a genetics question though. I'm just curious how dominant heterochromia is and how it reacts to different colors, if it's supposed to be like it's own color or if it has colors that can be interchanged with different dominance and recessiveness

I have never seen an instance of inherited heterochromia in chickens and the inheritance in other species of poultry has not been studied.

How about mammal-wise? I know this is less of a chicken thing but I thought this would be a good forum to discuss general genetics. I haven't found much on the Internet so if anyone has any personal experience with heterochromia genetics I'd love to hear them out.

Other than black I've never seen a chicken with anything but bay colored eyes.

As chicks they have green eyes and maybe what you saw was the birds transition to adult color.

Other than black I've never seen a chicken with anything but bay colored eyes.

As chicks they have green eyes and maybe what you saw was the birds transition to adult color.
My question is about animals in general, I haven't really seen distinct heterochromia in chickens

How about mammal-wise? I know this is less of a chicken thing but I thought this would be a good forum to discuss general genetics. I haven't found much on the Internet so if anyone has any personal experience with heterochromia genetics I'd love to hear them out.
In mammals, I believe it is pretty common for ones with white hair or fur in the eye area to have light-colored eye(s) as well. So a black and white horse might have a brown eye on one side (surrounded by black hair) and a blue eye on the other side (surrounded by white hair).

Some genes that affect the color of the hair or fur can also affect the eye color (example: albino rabbit with red eyes, merle dog with blue eyes).

Some genes specifically affect eye color (example: some Siberian Husky dogs have a gene that causes blue eyes, apparently without affecting anything else about them.)

I don't know much more than what I just said, but maybe that will be enough of a starting point that you can track down more information if you want it.

Back
Top Bottom