Mites all over the ground around coop

SC_chickengirl11

Hatching
May 19, 2024
Hello! Can someone please tell me if these are red poultry mites? They are covering the pavers/ground around my chicken coop and are also in the sand in the run. They scamper around during daylight which doesn’t seem like poultry mites but I’m at a loss right now. Cleaned out and treated my whole coop/run with Elector Psp on Thursday and as of today (Sunday), the ground is still covered with these bugs.

Also, I haven’t seen any mites on my hens but I have 2 that have been loosing feathers around their vents. I even took them to the vet and the vet said it wasn’t mites. But then I found them all over the ground so clearly there’s an infestation.
😩
😩
😩
Ideas??

PS - this photo is super zoomed in. These bugs are TINY

Attachments

• IMG_5751.jpg
    IMG_5751.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 16
  • tempImageJSHcZc.png
    tempImageJSHcZc.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
I'd say it was a mite but if the Elector PSP didn't kill them that's odd, so maybe it's not a mite. I've never used it but heard it's pretty deadly.

Maybe try Permethrin/garden powder. Most use that and you could sprinkle it around your coop as well as inside of your coop, nest boxes, and chickens. Whatever they are, that should kill them.

As far as losing feathers on their vents, I'd give one a bath and see what you can see that way. Could it be other chickens pecking?

Feather pecking is usually either from overcrowding or low protein.

Thanks
I'd say it was a mite but if the Elector PSP didn't kill them that's odd, so maybe it's not a mite. I've never used it but heard it's pretty deadly.

Maybe try Permethrin/garden powder. Most use that and you could sprinkle it around your coop as well as inside of your coop, nest boxes, and chickens. Whatever they are, that should kill them.

As far as losing feathers on their vents, I'd give one a bath and see what you can see that way. Could it be other chickens pecking?

Feather pecking is usually either from overcrowding or low protein.
Thanks Debbie! Unfortunately, the feather loss has been going on for months but it was just this week that I found the mites. I've already upped the protein and there's only 3 birds (free range ~8 hours a day) and have a coop suitable for 8 birds.. so they aren't overcrowded. I even stuck a camera in the coop to see if they were pulling feathers out at night.. never saw anything like that.

I have cats and a pet tortoise so I really don't want to use permethrin as it's highly toxic to both. :(

I'm going to do another round of Elector tomorrow.. fingers crossed. I just find it strange the mites are out during the day.. everything I've read said red poultry mites hide during the day and come out at night.

They look a lot like these dont they? Ive had chickens off/on for years. This is the first year ive had theselike this...totally overrun. They dont seem to be on the chickens. Random sampling of vent areas, under wings etc... but theyre all over feeders, waterers, and the ground in the runs in 2 separate coops 75+ yards apart.

I sprayed elector PSP all over yesterday and doesnt seem to have phased them.
1000024009.jpg

That looks like a mite to me. Not sure what kind. Try setting up sticky tape in places to see if you can stop them from accessing the chickens. Otherwise you may need to isolate the birds to treat them with something strong enough to handle an infestation.

If you aren't sure and they don't seem to be affecting the chickens they could be a variety of mites that feed on plants instead. They don't look like spider mites to me though.

But you could try some bio controls from these two places I order from which will have more natural options:

https://www.naturesgoodguys.com/products/hypoaspis-miles?variant=23375427715
(they sell mite predators to go after poultry mites and sell other bio controls)

https://www.arbico-organics.com
(they sell all sort of bio controls and mite predators, but mainly broad-spectrum mite control or specific to those that affect plants.

That looks like a mite to me. Not sure what kind. Try setting up sticky tape in places to see if you can stop them from accessing the chickens. Otherwise you may need to isolate the birds to treat them with something strong enough to handle an infestation.

If you aren't sure and they don't seem to be affecting the chickens they could be a variety of mites that feed on plants instead. They don't look like spider mites to me though.

But you could try some bio controls from these two places I order from which will have more natural options:

https://www.naturesgoodguys.com/products/hypoaspis-miles?variant=23375427715
(they sell mite predators to go after poultry mites and sell other bio controls)

https://www.arbico-organics.com
(they sell all sort of bio controls and mite predators, but mainly broad-spectrum mite control or specific to those that affect plants.
Yeah i couldnt figure it out. They're all over the ground and the feeders and waterers in 2 separate runs.

I did a test yesterday and took an old empty/currently unused chick waterer(plastic 2 piece - white top green bottom) and just sat it on the ground in the grass/clover about 10 yards away from a smaller cage with younger birds(mid intro to the older hens).

I checked this AM...and the entire empty waterer was covered in those mites...in broad daylight. Bear in mind this 2 days after i sprayed elector psp just about everywhere.

Thanks

Thanks Debbie! Unfortunately, the feather loss has been going on for months but it was just this week that I found the mites. I've already upped the protein and there's only 3 birds (free range ~8 hours a day) and have a coop suitable for 8 birds.. so they aren't overcrowded. I even stuck a camera in the coop to see if they were pulling feathers out at night.. never saw anything like that.

I have cats and a pet tortoise so I really don't want to use permethrin as it's highly toxic to both. :(

I'm going to do another round of Elector tomorrow.. fingers crossed. I just find it strange the mites are out during the day.. everything I've read said red poultry mites hide during the day and come out at night.
If it's the spray, it's safe when it dries. If it's powder, cats have to lick it or get it in an open wound. Generally, it's all dissipated in a day or two so most will just caution people to keep their cats out of the coop for the day. I wouldn't know why your tortoise would be exposed to any of it.

Back
Top Bottom