Muscovy hen aggressive toward other pet muscovy

Mudbillkisses

Songster
8 Years
Feb 21, 2016
Hi all.I have two Muscovy females. They are backyard pets so I only have a few. I've been raising ducks for several years but this is new to me. Our ducks free range our fenced in yard during the day. They have access to food and water at any time during the day. Juniper, 4 has just recently started to lash out at our other muscovy, Lucy 8 to the point where Lucy sustained bites to her face that were severe. Once we realized it was Juniper we separated them.

We tried to reintroduce them, and Juniper acts territorial and antagonistic when Lucy tries to forage with her or around food. Juniper is docile with us, and flattens out like she wants to be mated with. We have hand raised them both, so perhaps this is because she views us as part of the flock

We are desperately trying to figure out why juniper is acting this way and how to put a stop to it, outside we will have to rehome her which would be worst case scenario.

We are considering getting fertilized Cayuga eggs and having her hatch them, and keeping a male to add to the mix. Perhaps a mallard drake would restore balance and keep her in check.

She is laying right now and doesn't seem to want oyster shell, but will go to our barely used fire pit and shovel in dirt frantically. We give them layer feed and meal worms, plus they free range.

Has anyone experienced this? Would appreciate suggestions and feedback. Lucy is such a sweet duck and we hate that she's sustained injury because of our other hen. Historically they've gotten along.

Thank you!

Lucy, white, juniper- black and green
1000002549.jpg

Is there any possibility that Juniper is about to go broody?
She likely will, as she has in the past but the question is why would she be so aggressive now when it's her 4th spring /broody season and this is new behavior

I do not know the answer to why she is aggressive now and not in prior seasons. Eating dirt from the firepit might indicate a micro-nutritional deficiency. [In humans it would be indicative of iron deficiency.] You might consider supplementing with Rooster Booster Poultry Cell in her drinking water -- it won't harm to add the supplement the water for both muscovy.

I doubt whether a mallard drake would keep her in hand. Mallards speak a different language to muscovy. My son had a sweet muscovy female with his pekins. The drake would not accept her although she tried her best to inveigle him. So he had to move to my all drake flock. She fitted in well with the female pekins, but only because she was super friendly and jumped in the wading pool with them and laid in the same nestbox.

Back
Top Bottom