Post your Pop Door (and lock) pics

jupitergirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Wisconsin
We are about to start cutting into the side of our brand new chicken barn, and I want to be sure we are happy with the final product. We have decided on a up/down sliding door in a track, and are looking for pop door design and lock design ideas.

Thanks!!

Cheri in Wisconsin

Last edited:
I am in the process of building one too. I have decided on a sliding door, inside the coop. I am using aluminum 'U" channel to fit the door into. I am not planning on a lock. since the door will be inside the coop, and very hard to slide up from the exterior. The weight of the door itself will keep it down. I will post pics of the set-up in a few days when i have time to finish it. It is a pretty simple way to make a pop door, without using hinges. I plan on attaching a heavy cord with a pulley system to operate it from outside the coop. Here is a picture of the pop door framed out:

P6010024.jpg

I have an automatic door on mine. Slides vertically. My current setup is a 1/2" thick plywood door that is being lifted by a drapery motor that I purchased online. While my girls are still getting use to going in and out themselves I have it connected to a remote control so I can open and close. But in a few days I will connect to a timer. It works great, and lifts the door with no problems, never jammed once, and I have a roost at level with it and the chicks don't even bother with it. I will take a pic tonight and post up.

Last edited:
I have a plexiglass door on ours in a sliding channel, and it's on a rope with a pulley so I don't have to go into the run to open it. I have a 6# window weight attached on the rope right above the door, so it's very heavy to open, darn near impossible for any predator except one with 2 legs.

duckhouse70finished.jpg

I usd 1" rough plywood for the door, painted with exterior oil paint..gloss finish..

My lock is a sliding bolt, the kind used on horse stalls, that you can put a padlock on. I have one on the pop door and one on the main door, plus one on our big chicken coop and they're great.

Here is mine I made just a square 12"x12" frame of 1x3 strapping and sandwiched it between to pieces of plywood.

32461_100_1802.jpg

32461_100_1803.jpg

I used a standard hasp with lock to secure it.

Back
Top Bottom