Rosecomb Leghorns

Wishapup

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2013
Canada
We have very harsh winters here, so I would prefer rosecombs. However, I can't seem to find reference to RC Leghorns in any colours but white and brown. Do they come in any other colours? Are there any RC Exchequers, Buffs, Blacks, etc. in existence?

Edit for clarification: more than general winter hardiness, I am worried about frostbite on the comb. The SC Leghorn I have did not suffer any this winter, which had some of the coldest temps on record. In southern Canada. However, the roosters have much larger combs.

Last edited:
I think the tall comb is a trait in all leghorns. Leghorns i think would be much better in waker weather. They all no very heavy and don't have much feathering.
Brahmas are good heavy-breeds. I have four. They're very sweet, especially the rooster. They have rose combs.
I think there's a website called "My Pet Chicken" where you can enter in specifics you want in chickens and it will categorize them.

The APA recognizes Rosecomb Leghorns in Light Brown, Dark Brown, White, Black, Buff, Silver, and Golden Duckwing varieties. If you're going to try and raise Leghorns in your harsh winter climate, rose combs would be the better way to go as they are less subject to frostbite than single combs. However, I agree with silkiecuddles; in your harsh winter climate, Leghorns are not the best way to go. Like all Mediterranean breeds, they don't handle extreme cold well, and even if they survive your winters intact, their egg production will drop way down. For your very cold winters, I would suggest going with one of the really cold hardy breeds such as Australorps, Jersey Giants, Brahmas, Cochins, Barred Rocks, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Chanteclers, Easter Eggers, or Black and Red Sex Links. Alaska Backyard Chickens has a list of recommended breeds for Alaska's winters at http://akchickens.org/getting-started/recommended-breeds/, and these breeds should do well in your winters as well. Whatever breeds you end up with, good luck with your flock.

I think the tall comb is a trait in all leghorns. Leghorns i think would be much better in waker weather. They all no very heavy and don't have much feathering.
Brahmas are good heavy-breeds. I have four. They're very sweet, especially the rooster. They have rose combs.
I think there's a website called "My Pet Chicken" where you can enter in specifics you want in chickens and it will categorize them.

I have a SC Leghorn who does fine through the winter
smile.png
Not all Leghorns have the tall single combs, as there is a rarer rosecomb variety (most hatcheries do not carry them) but it's the roosters I'm especially worried about. MPC is an American hatchery but I have enjoyed looking at their birds! Murray McMurray also has a great selection tool.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The APA recognizes Rosecomb Leghorns in Light Brown, Dark Brown, White, Black, Buff, Silver, and Golden Duckwing varieties. If you're going to try and raise Leghorns in your harsh winter climate, rose combs would be the better way to go as they are less subject to frostbite than single combs. However, I agree with silkiecuddles; in your harsh winter climate, Leghorns are not the best way to go. Like all Mediterranean breeds, they don't handle extreme cold well, and even if they survive your winters intact, their egg production will drop way down. For your very cold winters, I would suggest going with one of the really cold hardy breeds such as Australorps, Jersey Giants, Brahmas, Cochins, Barred Rocks, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Chanteclers, Easter Eggers, or Black and Red Sex Links. Alaska Backyard Chickens has a list of recommended breeds for Alaska's winters at http://akchickens.org/getting-started/recommended-breeds/, and these breeds should do well in your winters as well. Whatever breeds you end up with, good luck with your flock.

Hmm, that's interesting. The RC in other colours must not be too common, even with exhibitors. I have owned many of those breeds (currently have BCM, EE, SBEL, bantams, bantam EE, Ameraucana, Leghorn, BR, Columbian Rock, RSL, Production Red and have owned others) and do know about them. Here in Canada, those breeds are not available from a hatchery unless you drive for many hours. Other than BRs, I have to get all my birds from breeders.

I do really like the Leghorns! Winter hardiness in general is not my main concern as I have chickens of all sizes and shapes that do well, including a SC Leghorn that produced well throughout the winter and some winter-hardy hens that took a break, as usual. It's more frostbite on the combs of the roosters that I'm worried about (my Marans have issues with that). A lot of the white egg laying breeds have Mediterranean origins and have similar light body types (Andalusian, Ancona, Spanish, Campine, and others). I have considered that the Minorca, Holland, Lamona, and Catalana may be heavier, but certainly harder to find! The heavier winter-friendly egg layers, Chanteclers, Orps, Brahmas etc. are typically brown egg layers.

I am at nearly full capacity with chickens (30 - 60 at any given time for the past ten years), so I'm not getting started or planning to get many more. Too busy with my projects and the breeds I have! But, a few more Leghorns would be nice.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hmm, that's interesting. The RC in other colours must not be too common, even with exhibitors. I have owned many of those breeds (currently have BCM, EE, SBEL, bantams, bantam EE, Ameraucana, Leghorn, BR, Columbian Rock, RSL, Production Red and have owned others) and do know about them. Here in Canada, those breeds are not available from a hatchery unless you drive for many hours. Other than BRs, I have to get all my birds from breeders.

I do really like the Leghorns! Winter hardiness in general is not my main concern as I have chickens of all sizes and shapes that do well, including a SC Leghorn that produced well throughout the winter and some winter-hardy hens that took a break, as usual. It's more frostbite on the combs of the roosters that I'm worried about (my Marans have issues with that). A lot of the white egg laying breeds have Mediterranean origins and have similar light body types (Andalusian, Ancona, Spanish, Campine, and others). I have considered that the Minorca, Holland, Lamona, and Catalana may be heavier, but certainly harder to find! The heavier winter-friendly egg layers, Chanteclers, Orps, Brahmas etc. are typically brown egg layers.

I am at nearly full capacity with chickens (30 - 60 at any given time for the past ten years), so I'm not getting started or planning to get many more. Too busy with my projects and the breeds I have! But, a few more Leghorns would be nice.

Thanks.

You're welcome.

Thanks.
This gentleman is very knowledgeable about Leghorns as he's been breeding them for decades @danhonour

He is Post #24 on the Breeding Buff Leghorns thread on BYC. He has written articles for Poultry Magazines and some of his Buff Leghorns are shown in the Leghorn photos on www.feathersite.com. One of his rosecomb Leghorns are shown on the website. Hopefiully he might be able to refer you to breeders of rosecomb Leghorns. He has always been kind to answer my queries.

Back
Top Bottom