Sick chicks! Spreading fast.

Chicks30

In the Brooder
May 21, 2024
Hi everyone.
I have 18 chicks, they range from 3 weeks old to 7 weeks old. They were fine one day, then the next one started sneezing a bit. The next day, two chicks had 1 eye closed. I removed them and put them in their own brooder. The next day, in the original brooder 2 more chicks had 1 eye closed, and in the quarantined brooder, they had both eyes closed. Today, a few of them started to ruffle feathers (in my regular brooder). It is spreading FAST. I have been using vetrx and started adding oregano in the water for a day or two. (Have been giving electrolytes everyday). I deep cleaned water and feed dishes, and took everyone out of the original brooder. Some chicks now are sleeping with there heads down and butt's up. I have had them all on medicated feed since I have had them. Yesterday I decided to treat them with corid just incase. Some are popping just clear liquid that dissolves instantly, and some seem to have runny brown poop, and some with white foamy poop. They also sound raspy when they breathe and very slowly gasp for air occasionally. I only have medicated feed on hand, so that is what I am giving (hoping it is okay to give while giving corid). Any thoughts, please let me know! I am devasted.

Should I stop giving corid and start tiaguard and probiotics right away? I just got some tiaguard to use!

Here is the same generic medicine equivalent to Tylan:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water changed every other day for 5 days. Treat only the birds with symptoms. Add water to the powder to mix it properly. It can treat symptoms of mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. Chicks can get MG from other chickens who are carriers or through hatching eggs from a carrier parent. If they have MG they may improve in several days. If they have a virus, that may take weeks to recover from.

Here is the same generic medicine equivalent to Tylan:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water changed every other day for 5 days. Treat only the birds with symptoms. Add water to the powder to mix it properly. It can treat symptoms of mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. Chicks can get MG from other chickens who are carriers or through hatching eggs from a carrier parent. If they have MG they may improve in several days. If they have a virus, that may take weeks to recover from.
One just pooped, and when I opened it up, there was this reddish pinkish color. Should I start worrying about coccidiosis? Or still treat for respiratory?

Attachments

• Snapchat-185022406.jpg
    Snapchat-185022406.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 8
T
That could be normal intestinal shed, but if you see more of the reddish shed, or any seem lethargic, you can treat with Corid for 5 days.
Thank you!! Are the closed eyes typically more signs of respiratory or signs of corid? I have 3 that are extremely lethargic, one that will not eat or drink on its own, or even open its eyes. It also is sitting on its tail feathers?? I am thinking we need to cull her as she is really suffering. The quickest thing I could get access to is Tiaguard, so I am treating them with that at the moment. 3/8 teaspoon into a pint jar of water with a 1/2 tsp of honey! I just ordered terramycin to help with eyes. The eyes just seem cloudy and like they are sinking in?

Back
Top Bottom