The Edwardian "Poultry Concern" Coop

calista

Songster
9 Years
Jan 27, 2010
For those of you renovating an old chicken coop or repurposing a shed, check out this British television episode from the "Edwardian Farm" series as one of the team members takes delivery of a new flock into his refurbished "chicken hutch" and discusses winter egg production. (The whole episode is interesting, but go to the 35:20 mark if you just want to see what he does with the coop and flock.)

http://www.novamov.com/video/c385btlkisjc0

Checking it out now.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks so much, I have the dvd on order its out in february. There is some shocking things in it. We waste so much, the rag rug she made was interesting as when it was too warn they composted it. In edwardian England the river tamar was so polluted they said that if you put a horseshoe for a few days in the water it came out copper plated.

Yeah, the buffering thing is a pain, but hang in there! The wait is worth it...

I forgot to add that the breed he selected was British Light Sussex. Beautiful birds.

I, too, was intrigued by that rag rug and intend to turn several outfits that I don't have a prayer of fitting into again into a nice one for the back door.
lol.png

Thanks for the heads-up, Paula! I'm only on Episode 3 but will look forward to the additional poultry info.

I imagine lots of Edwardian farmers used old-fashioned (even to them) incubators: broodies.
wink.png

Oops, I don't know if this will be true for other areas of the U.S., but I just tried out your link to the BBC I-Player, and it said "Not Available in Your Area."
sad.png

Looks like I'll have to stick with the slow buffering time on the original link, but thanks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom