White Cornish

BackyardAR

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Malvern
Hey everyone...

In doing a little research on everyone's favorite "I want my own self-sustaining meatie flock", I started looking into parental breeds. What I found was an abscence of White Cornish. Plenty of crosses, but no pure White Cornish.

Is there a source for these? Do you have to make your own?

There are some Bantams but Large Fowl White Cornish are near impossibe to find. I have never seen or heard of any being avaiable .

Last edited:
If I remember correctly these are all in Lockdown among the various breeders for the Cornish genetics. maybe someone else can add some info for you.
smile.png

an option is to hope for a white sport or hidden genetics out of one of the other standard cornish colors, such as the dark corning or the WLR. Or you could try and use some of these other standard colors and (maybe) white birds of another breed (langshan, giant, rock, dorking) to produce your own white cornish. granted they wouldn't be just like the proprietary lines that the big box producers have guarded, BUT would be close, and after a few years (who know how long, maybe 10, maybe 30) would definitely be quite the competition. especially if you could use lines of parent stock from private breeders and possibly try and patent your new line of white cornish(thats what the big box guys try and do). It'll be your patent, so you can do what you want with the birds including selling them to anyone, or preventing a good idea from being kept from the regular people who care for more then the profit.

AL6517 and pepper48_98 both have standard white cornish.
Maybe some others do as well.

There is a thread about a WLR cornish breeding program in the meat bird section.
You should look that one over.

Last edited:
A Rhode Island Red x Light Sussex and a Rhode Island Red x Delaware cross was used of some time as a meat type cross back before the hybrids.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks

I will contact both of them and see if they still have them, I would be intersted in breeding a few just becuase of their rarity, if they are desent quality.

I doubt your going to find white cornish standards. I looked and looked, I think you have better odds of finding hatchable dragon eggs.
Getting any quality cornish seems to be difficult. I did my homework on this before I jumped and committed. I have links to several breeders and they are all either out, or not selling birds, or never answered repeated e-mails.
After doing my homework I decided to by hatchery birds and cull. I have Dark Cornish, which have much better availability than whites. If your looking for a light feathered bird look into white laced red cornish these are available. I didn't go that route because I didn't want to order through McMurray, and their Dark Cornish had small mature weights ( 8.5 lbs ). The McMurray white laced red cornish have better finished wieghts ( 10lbs) than their dark.

Again after homework I ordered through Cackle who were recommended as having the best cornish by several forum members, so far I am happy and I have several promising cockrels.

I have my eye out for more for breeding stock and will buy some to improve my flock if I find some.

Quote:
Thanks

I will contact both of them and see if they still have them, I would be intersted in breeding a few just becuase of their rarity, if they are desent quality.

If you cant find White Cornish you might try White Aseels...

Chris

Back
Top Bottom