Hand taming

denemeliksiz

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 9, 2019
Hi everyone
Firstly, i want to introduce me. I am from Turkey. I have 2 hens and 1 rooster. 1 hen and the rooster are brown and about 10 months old. Other hen, white one is a bit older than 1 year.
My question, i can feed them with treats in my hand. But when i want to fondle them with other hand, they escape. I want to pick on my hand without scaring them, how i can do?
For rooster, i can pick up easier, because he doesnt escapes much, but others not possible without corner.
May this be about their roost(or might be correct word-perch) ? It is 0.9x0.5x0.4m and on soil, might be uncomfortable. Next to there, there is a fenced area with 3x1m. Also, they walk around on 10x4m garden.

Welcome to the forum- glad to have you with us! Hand-taming birds takes time, and rewards too; feed them their treats by hand and give them some of their regular feed by hand, but don't force them to eat the food out of your hand. Also, what breeds do you have? Some are flightier than others, but I think that as long as you give your birds plenty of love and patience, any breed can be "tamed".

More than one approach can be taken. Since you have a small number of birds, I would pick up bird off roost and bring him inside to read a book or watch television with you. Something you do while relaxed and sedentary. Then periodically give him a small bite to eat. This part is to get him to relax and not flinch when you move. Once that realized, then chime back in from Turkey.

Thanks for answers.
My situation is similar to @SueT's, friendly except touching. I will try your ideas.
But i dont know breeds of my birds :)
But they have photos;
t8q6qa.jpg

2mws38.jpg

5yb4vs.jpg

Hello denemeliksiz.
Welcome to BYC.
Chickens don't like being picked up in general.
Touching them while they still have their feet on the ground may be easier to start with.

Back
Top Bottom