Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Sorry all. I didn’t mean to be a downer.
It is just my way of coping.
I am probably still more active than the majority of the population, but the reality is that I will probably die long before the worst from a climate perspective, and I am very content in my introvert cocoon with my cats and my chickens and my fruit trees.
Sorry again. Please resume normal programming!
I feel the same, but my pessimism isn't as pronounced. There's a lot to learn, especially in Australia, from Aboriginal peoples whose custodianship of the land was beneficial for several millenia.

Our main problem is preventing the excesses of capitalism world-wide. Preventing loss of the Amazon, pollution of the Niger delta, etc. that can only be achieved through international collaboration and action.

Instead we see political phenomena like Brexit 🫣 nations pulling away instead of together.

Try to banish that rotten feeling; you are giving her all the tlc she could wish for. Sometimes that's all we can do. Sometimes that's all the patient wants. :hugs
I never heard that term TLC before, so I had to look it up. It is a very comforting idea ! Reminds me of being allowed to sleep in my parent's bed when I was sick as a child.
On a brighter note, I promised to post pictures when my irises came out.
Two shots from the patch where the first one emerged and then the mass out in the field.
I do love them!
View attachment 3836339View attachment 3836340View attachment 3836341
Wonderful!
And your garden looks so green ! It makes a lovely contrast with the purple.
I found a tiny portion of cottage cheese to be a very effective vehicle for liquid antibiotics.
Believe it or not, cottage cheese is a british thing. We don't have any equivalent. I suppose I could find some in the supermarkets in Nice as there are many english residents on the Rivera.
I think the most similar in texture that would be much easier to find is Italian ricotta.
Anyway, the semolina is working great. And yes it really is a relief. It was awful how she struggled when I had to open her mouth - she made protest screeches and fought so hard I was afraid to hurt her.

Piou-piou was a bit better today, the roosters didn't fight although there were a few close calls, and Lilly's wound is looking good.
Annette has been popping out an egg on spot in the garden for two mornings in a row. Sometimes her eggs are great, and sometimes she lays soft shells during the night, and now she's doing that 😮. It's like she doesn't control at all the moment she lays.

Piou-piou was well enough for lunch !
IMG_20240519_124239.jpg

Kara and Mélisse- not exactly the same figure !
IMG_20240519_144713.jpg
IMG_20240519_205315.jpg

Léa is broody again. Merle and her follow each other about a week apart !
IMG_20240519_144915.jpg

Laure is such a strange chicken. I would say she shows the chicken equivalent of some form of autism. She needs to do specific things at a specific time, always in the same way, and she panics every time her personal space is invaded. She used to be totally in love with Gaston but he has mated her once or twice without her agreement and now it's over, she flees from him.
IMG_20240519_170909.jpg

This morning I went again running on the loop I mentioned last week but this time I felt well enough to take the detour to the view point. I paid for it in the last kms getting home though 🤣. All the brooms are blooming,.it was very nice.
IMG_20240519_094316.jpg
IMG_20240519_094408.jpg
IMG_20240519_094528.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240519_172254.jpg
    IMG_20240519_172254.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Nice to hear the sick girls are getting better.

View attachment 3837569
💛 I almost could translate the poem. 🌟✨⭐🌞
But one word is missing in my french vocabulary and now I wonder what t’ enfuis means?
It means you run away.
It's an excerpt from a song and it's very hard to translate because it's based on word games and doesn't really have a meaning.
The t-shirt says "Ode to the night, where you run away, burnt by stars, in full noon."
Get some Chlorhexedine spray and drench the wound then seal it with Stockholme hoof tar.
I want to comment on this but I'm afraid I won't make myself clear because of the language differences. So please tell me if some of what I write doesn't make sense.

When I began reading on BYC about how to deal with wounds, I was surprised by the recommendations on what product to use because they didn't match with what I've been told to do for human wounds. First I thought it was because animals didn't react the same. But then, instructions given by my vet and the clinic turned out to be what I expected from the start.
To sum up : use betadine as first choice on any serious wound implying a surgical intervention, and never, ever mix different types of antiseptic, either by applying them together or consecutively on a wound.

I looked a bit on the internet and found various french documents such as lessons for nurses and instructions for operating rooms, which more or less concur. What I understood is that the chlorhexidine sprays we can buy in France at the drugstore, and that I use all the time, are aqueous. They are only meant for very superficial wounds. Only chlorhexidine in alcoholic support has sufficient staying power to be used for things more serious than a scratch. We can buy biseptine spray, which is alcoholic, but at such a low percentage of chlorhexidine that it would only be a second choice for more serious wounds

And once you start to use either betadine, or chlorhexidine, or chlorite based treatment like vetericyn, you must use only that until the wound is healed.

So you can see why I was surprised by reading more than once on BYC suggestions to use combination of various antiseptics, on top of antibiotic cream.

I would be curious to know if this is a cultural difference as I have noted quite a few times that medication use can differ in different countries. @RoyalChick I would be especially interested to hear your thoughts, since you've been in that business and are a mix of european and american.

(Here is an example through Google translate of a summary for student nurses
https://www-soins--infirmiers-com.t...x_tr_hl=fr&_x_tr_pto=wapp#indication-generale l

Finally, I want to mention something that contradicts what I just said 😊. A few months ago I came upon a comparative of chlorhexidine and iodine povidone, made by an equestrian who does simplified reviews of scientific articles on horse health. She mentioned a point in favour of chlorhexidine for vet use which is that iodine required a relatively sterile environment whereas chlorhexidine works better in an environment with dirt and germs. I'll have to search a bit to find the references of the articles she reviewed.

For Lilly it's not an issue now as the wound is sealed, and we will go on with what we have started doing.
Both the wound and her attitude are reassuring.
IMG_20240520_102745.jpg

I would be curious to know if this is a cultural difference as I have noted quite a few times that medication use can differ in different countries. @RoyalChick I would be especially interested to hear your thoughts, since you've been in that business and are a mix of european and american.
I suspect my answer is going to get me in hot water, but since you asked......
First remember there are different kinds of wounds. A surgical incision into healthy tissue is different from a puncture from a tooth or a talon for example.
Some wounds are best closed up and some are best left to heal from the bottom. Generally a non-surgical wound can be assumed to be infected and so shouldn't be closed up because that will trap the infection.

In a surgical situation you are trying to prevent bacteria from entering the wound from the surface of the skin. In that situation chlorhexidine has been shown more effective than betadine (I can hunt down a reference for that if needed). And I have never heard any rule about avoiding to use both - and I have never heard of anyone using both!

For anything other than clean surgical wounds the emphasis on wound care has evolved over the last 30 years to focus on encouraging healthy granulation tissue (healing from below) rather than on antiseptic use.
There is at least one study that shows use of ANY antiseptic worse than plain boiled water or sterile normal saline. The study showed faster healing without the use of an antiseptic.
Just like hydrogen peroxide damages the tissues needed to heal, so do the antiseptics.
I think the gold standard for non-surgical wounds is irrigation with boiled water or sterile normal saline followed by coverage with a moist dressing - like a hydrocolloid dressing that encourages the formation of granulation tissue and new skin formation.

Sorry for the long post!

I suspect my answer is going to get me in hot water, but since you asked......
First remember there are different kinds of wounds. A surgical incision into healthy tissue is different from a puncture from a tooth or a talon for example.
Some wounds are best closed up and some are best left to heal from the bottom. Generally a non-surgical wound can be assumed to be infected and so shouldn't be closed up because that will trap the infection.

In a surgical situation you are trying to prevent bacteria from entering the wound from the surface of the skin. In that situation chlorhexidine has been shown more effective than betadine (I can hunt down a reference for that if needed). And I have never heard any rule about avoiding to use both - and I have never heard of anyone using both!

For anything other than clean surgical wounds the emphasis on wound care has evolved over the last 30 years to focus on encouraging healthy granulation tissue (healing from below) rather than on antiseptic use.
There is at least one study that shows use of ANY antiseptic worse than plain boiled water or sterile normal saline. The study showed faster healing without the use of an antiseptic.
Just like hydrogen peroxide damages the tissues needed to heal, so do the antiseptics.
I think the gold standard for non-surgical wounds is irrigation with boiled water or sterile normal saline followed by coverage with a moist dressing - like a hydrocolloid dressing that encourages the formation of granulation tissue and new skin formation.

Sorry for the long post!
Thanks RC, I needed that information for future reference!

Back
Top Bottom