survival prognosis after fly strike??? UPDATE on Roy!!

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All,

Just has my first bout of fly strike in my flock. My rooster Roy was the victim.

I did the following methods...
- bathed the bird to clean the wound
- pulled and picked off maggots with twizers
- but peroxide on wound
- placed bird in crate with egg, clean water, food, and clean shavings for recovery.
- will check him tomorrow for father maggots.

My question is, what is the survival rate after fly strike? I don't know how much internal damage was done.

I got all the maggots that I could see, no more came out after I cleaned him. He is crowing and walking.

Also, What else can I do for him?

Thanks
Roy and flock

Last edited:
I think he should be okay! Chickens have incredible healing abilities, so as long as he is kept clean and well fed and hydrated he should get better soon.

Best of luck!

I think he should be okay! Chickens have incredible healing abilities, so as long as he is kept clean and well fed and hydrated he should get better soon.

Best of luck!

Ok, thank you. I am trying to get him to eat. He is not much into food right now. I will syringe feed him if
it comes to that.

Thanks.

The wound does not have a foul smell does it? Was the chicken wounded??

it does not smell bad, no. He was not wounded, unless you want to count the wound that the maggots created.
I am not sure how much internal damage was done. I got a good amount out of him. Most came off in the water,
the rest I pulled out with tweezers. I have not seen anymore.

I don't know if they can live in the body without
coming out. This is my first exposure to fly strike.

The wound looks like it is starting to scrab and heal.
He is still pretty weak though. he is eating some but not a whole lot.

I just had a similar problem with a stray kitten.

We used a light white Vinegar & water mix. The Vinegar makes it inhabitable and the maggots just crawl out like a stampede. remember Vinegar is an acid so it will butn for a second but it does chase those suckers out.

Good luck with your guy Keep us posted on his progress.

is he at least drinking water? if so add some nutri-drench or rooster booster to his water and some electrolytes.
tons of recipes for electrolytes online if you don't have any powder on hand or you can also give him Gatorade.

is he at least drinking water? if so add some nutri-drench or rooster booster to his water and some electrolytes.
tons of recipes for electrolytes online if you don't have any powder on hand or you can also give him Gatorade.

that is a good idea. I will try that. He is drinking some but not enough. I am going to start feeding him water with a syringe. maybe that will
at least wet his appetite for food. I have been offering him some hard boiled eggs (from his girls), fresh blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries (those
are his favorites). I grow them in my backyard it is often going berry picking when he is free ranging. He has ate a few of the blueberries
but has not touched the eggs. He is in my bathroom in a hospital kennel crowing, it is so funny, never had a rooster crow in the house before.

Anyway, I will keep you all posted on his progress. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom