recommended antibiotic for recovery from fly strike

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All,

I have a rooster that is recovering from fly strike. He is doing better this morning. Yesterday evening I
found the wound with the maggots, totally disturbing!! I bathed him and am keeping the wound as clean as
I can for a chicken. I was wondering what a good antibiotic would be to put him on to help him get better?
If an antibiotic is not needed that would be good information too.

On a side note, for those who have dealt with fly strike, it is just me or is that hard to get our of your head?
I had a hard time sleeping last night after what I saw. Almost like PTSD only with maggots. I had not idea
that maggots could be so gross. I do not have a sensitive stomach, but that made it turn big time.

Just making sure I am not alone.

Thanks,
Roy and flock

I totally agree, it's so disgusting! And the smell! Horrible! Look him over again today to find the lurkers., and I hope you removed all the eggs too. Silvadene (spelling?) ointment is the best, but I think prescription only. Otherwise, antibiotic ointment without lidocaine or steroids, or even raw honey. The wound needs to be moist, and he needs separate digs away from the flies! Mary

Ok, thank you so much. I never thought about the towels.

So do you think I need to bring him inside? I don't have a garage, so I would have to bring
him in the house. I hate the idea of bringing outdoor animals inside the house, just creeps me out.
I think about all the stuff that I could be bringing into the house as well. Just makes my skin
crawl.

If I have to I have to, but if I can keep him outside that is my preference. But I cannot guarintee that
no flies will get to him. So I guess I have no choice.

I have put some ointment on his wound. it seems to be looking better, kind of scabbing over some.

He still is not all that for food yet. hopefully his appetite will get better as he feels better.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Try yummy treats, apples, applesauce, worms, anything to get some calories into him. He probably need an antibiotic. Is he drinking? Add honey/ electrolytes to the water too. This is an emergency best handled at the veterinarian's, if you can take him ASAP. Mary

Last edited:
some places will use maggots to debreed or clean a wound (even on humans). the maggots will only eat dead flesh. while I am unsure about chickens, on other animals I have used hydrogen peroxide to dry and seal a wound. if you can get the wound to scab that should stop the maggots.

some places will use maggots to debreed or clean a wound (even on humans). the maggots will only eat dead flesh. while I am unsure about chickens, on other animals I have used hydrogen peroxide to dry and seal a wound. if you can get the wound to scab that should stop the maggots.

Ok, thank you. the wound is scabbed over now. I was using hydrogen peroxide and then an antiseptic, antiviral, and antibiotic spray to keep an infection for brewing.
He looks good now, the wound is healing well. He is back on the top of his game and taking charge again.

Back
Top Bottom