15 week old speckled Sussex roo or hen?

Sweetchicks72

Chirping
5 Years
May 8, 2015
I love this little bird. Almost as friendly as my buff orpington! And I'm no chicken expert but man it's the prettiest bird! But I'm thinkin' she's a he... Feed store claims 90% hens, if this SS is a roo, then they're pretty accurate! I have 10 birds from them, so far the jury says pullets on the rest. :)

That is a gorgeous bird!

The pale comb and lack of saddle feathers seem to point towards a pullet, though the large comb and long tail do look a like a young roosters. I'm no expert, but I'd lean more towards pullet.

I saw the second picture before I saw the first. I immediately thought pullet because my pullet had the same size comb at that age. However, I then saw the first pic and my mind was changed instantly. Those long, pointy feathers say rooster. Sorry.

We'll thank you all. Just more confirmation from what I had suspected. Does anyone have any experience with the no crow rooster coller? I'm seriously thinking of trying it
1f61b.png
. Does anyone know if these roosters turn mean at some point?

We'll thank you all. Just more confirmation from what I had suspected. Does anyone have any experience with the no crow rooster coller? I'm seriously thinking of trying it
1f61b.png

I've had both mean roosters and nice roosters. It all depends on the individual. At this time none of my roosters are aggressive towards me. I think I've only had a few aggressive roosters (two or three) out of some 20 or more roosters I've raised.

1f61b.png

Various BYC members have used the no-crow rooster collars with mixed results. You can find some of the negative reviews on them at https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/967331/no-crow-rooster-collar. Based on my experience with them, Speckled Sussex roosters are generally pretty gentle as roosters go, however there are always exceptions with any breed and he could turn out to be aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom