2 hens sitting on dirty eggs

doitnatural

Hatching
Jul 6, 2015
Hi, I've got 2 hens sitting on really dirty eggs. One broke, so when the "mean girl" went to eat I quickly did what I could, and the clean ones I put in the incubator. I've candled the ones I could and they're pretty close, but they are filthy dirty, now I know were not supposed to wash them, but will the dirt penetrate???? Could those chicks hatch and be sick because of the dirty situation?? I plan on doing things different in the future, I won't let this happen again, but what to do about these filthy eggs?? I would appreciate any and all input. Thank you and God Bless!

Welcome to BYC!

The eggs may suffocate if the pores aren't cleaned, so take a damp (not wet) cloth and rub off the dirt. If they are near hatching most should hatch without a problem. I've had very dirty eggs go on to hatch and the chicks remain healthy.

Best of luck with your eggs!
smile.png

Thank You so much for responding so quickly! And, I learned some new things! I thought I replied yesterday, but they sent me a message saying you wouldn't see it because I sent it to the wrong place. My apology! Although I have a lot experience in farming and horse training, this is my first year doing my own hatching, and it's so Awesome! And, I have a lot to learn, but I'm up to 11 chicks and more to come!! I feel like a little kid!! Thanks again and God Bless You!

Back
Top Bottom