Automatic coop door

backyardconnie

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
We would like to have an automatic chicken coop door can any one recommend one we don't have electric in our coop please help we don't want junk theres to many on the internet which one.Thanks for any help.

Sad to say , but automatic requires electricity. You would be able to make something that would work on a wind up method, But you need to be a wizard genius to invent such for a trivial cause. Trivial because problem has been solved with electricity method.

Yes , there are battery operated. But you don't want something using electricity ? I'm slightly confused what exactly you would desire.

We would like to have an automatic chicken coop door can any one recommend one we don't have electric in our coop please help we don't want junk theres to many on the internet which one.Thanks for any help.
I use the ADOR1 Automatic Chicken Door which runs off of a 6v lantern battery. I bought the higher quality lantern battery which was about $7.
It is estimated to last a year, and has a warning when the battery is low. I plan to keep an extra always on hand.
The battery is connected and stored in an enclosed area on the door.

I have been very pleased with mine.

(others use the Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door which runs off of a 12v battery, or as a plug in. Both batteries could be connected to a small solar panel).

Last edited:
I use the Ador1 Automatic chicken door which runs off of a 6v lantern battery. I bought the higher quality lantern battery which was about $7.  
It is estimated to last a year, and has a warning when the battery is low. I plan to keep an extra always on hand.
The battery is connected and stored in an enclosed area on the door.

I have been very pleased with mine. 

(others use the [COLOR=660099]Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door[/COLOR] which runs off of a 12v battery, or as a plug in. Both batteries could be connected to a small solar panel).

Yup, I got the Ador1 too and love it. Would've chosen the Pullet door second. The other options all seem half baked by comparison.

The Chicken Guard & Brinsea with chicken guard uses batteries. The auto chicken door from petautodoors.com sold by Fleming Outdoors using electric & batteries. I bought the advance model & it is great.

Thanks for your input we wanted a battery system so we will look into these. Is there one that you could hook up solar panels at a later time.

Thanks for your input we wanted a battery system so we will look into these. Is there one that you could hook up solar panels at a later time.
The PulletShut has a solar panel option, but IMO you do not want it. Large expense, installation issues, wear and tear issues, external wiring and you still have to hook it up to a battery anyway. Just get yourself an Ador1 with the internal battery. It uses roughly 1 amp-hour per year. Drop in an Energizer alkaline and your good for years.

We went with the ADOR1 on the new coop - LOVE IT. I believe you can hook it up with solar as well. With a good 6v it's supposed to last a very long time (depending on what settings you choose).

Keep in mind that it uses a light sensor, so you want to place it (or buy the optional external light sensor if mounting inside) where it will see sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom