Cracked Egg on Day 29

gvcpope

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012

I have a Silkie egg that is about 29 days old (dated 6/28). I kept candling it after 21 days and couldn't see any movement or change in the egg at all. It didn't look the same as any of her previous eggs which another hen sat on. Those 3 hatched at day 21.

Today I decided to crack it and see what happened. When I did a tiny drop of blood came up and I could see movement. I put it to the incubator but I think I did too much damage to the shell.

What should I do?

I would have thought 29 days was way past it being viable. How long should I wait in the future?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like it went dormant due to becoming cold some time during incubation. Otherwise, I would suggest opening eggs a day or two after the rest hatch. The chick could survive. Are you sure the movement was really a live chick?

I think you are right about it going dormant. She didn't start sitting on them for several days. It was definitely movement. It looked like the beak pushing outward.

Now that I see the picture, I think there is still hope for it! Keep it moist and warm and leave it be. If it doesn't bleed any more it should be okay.

Did you count 29 days after being laid, or 29 days after incubation began? Because, if she began sitting, say, 9 days after the egg was laid, that's 20 days of incubation, not 29.

Wrap the egg in a slightly damp paper towel, and leave it in the incubator. It has a chance :)

I counted from the date laid. I will watch her more closely next time...thanks.

I think it died. No movement since late yesterday afternoon, shell is cracking more and it is puffy.

Back
Top Bottom