First hatch/Incubator revamp/review thread(IncuKit, IncuTherm+)

BlackwoodHollow

Songster
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Northeastish Ga
Short background:
We've been raising chickens for about a year now(Black Australorps and Wellies), and finally decided to take the plunge and begin hatching. It seems a necessary step in this whole process, as quality stock can be difficult to come by. We decided this would give us a little more control.

Not willing to invest in a Brinsea or Sportsman just yet, we purchased two LG9200's, with egg turners, very cheap on CL. After trying(and failing) to maintain a steady temp/humidity in them for a few weeks, we did some more research and bought an IncuKit mini(seen here: http://incubatorwarehouse.com/48-watt-incukit-dc.html) and ripped the guts out of our LG(oh, the pleasure), and replaced them with said kit.

Pics:

Before

Guts

After removing the heating element, thermostat, control, plastic panels(windows), and various nuts and bolts, I cut out the middle section of styrofoam and replaced that entire section(including windows), with a Lexan panel, sealing it with foam weather stripping and silicon caulking.

Finished product

After ensuring that the new bator and IncuKit would hold a relatively steady temp and humidity, we went for it and set 18 backyard mix eggs on the 18th of July. These chicks will either be pure BA's or Welsummer over BA cross and will be strictly for egg production/experimentation purposes.

Today is the 12th day and so far we have 15/18 eggs developing. Shortly after setting them, we realized we wanted a third thermometer, as well as a back up IncuKit and ordered another IncuKit and an IncuTherm Plus.

Here are the eggs today:

We candled on day 7 and marked the clears. Removed them when we candled again on day 11.

That's about it! So far, we are very pleased with the outcome. Incubator warehouse processes and ships orders within 24 hours(IME), and their products seem to work well(fingers crossed, knock on wood).

We'll update as the hatch progresses! Any info or advice is always appreciated.

Edit: weather striping, eh?

Last edited:
Short background:
We've been raising chickens for about a year now(Black Australorps and Wellies), and finally decided to take the plunge and begin hatching. It seems a necessary step in this whole process, as quality stock can be difficult to come by. We decided this would give us a little more control.

Not willing to invest in a Brinsea or Sportsman just yet, we purchased two LG9200's, with egg turners, very cheap on CL. After trying(and failing) to maintain a steady temp/humidity in them for a few weeks, we did some more research and bought an IncuKit mini(seen here: http://incubatorwarehouse.com/48-watt-incukit-dc.html) and ripped the guts out of our LG(oh, the pleasure), and replaced them with said kit.

Pics:

Before

Guts

After removing the heating element, thermostat, control, plastic panels(windows), and various nuts and bolts, I cut out the middle section of styrofoam and replaced that entire section(including windows), with a Lexan panel, sealing it with foam weather striping and silicon caulking.

Finished product

After ensuring that the new bator and IncuKit would hold a relatively steady temp and humidity, we went for it and set 18 backyard mix eggs on the 18th of July. These chicks will either be pure BA's or Welsummer over BA cross and will be strictly for egg production/experimentation purposes.

Today is the 12th day and so far we have 15/18 eggs developing. Shortly after setting them, we realized we wanted a third thermometer, as well as a back up IncuKit and ordered another IncuKit and an IncuTherm Plus.

Here are the eggs today:

We candled on day 7 and marked the clears. Removed them when we candled again on day 11.

That's about it! So far, we are very pleased with the outcome. Incubator warehouse processes and ships orders within 24 hours(IME), and their products seem to work well(fingers crossed, knock on wood).

We'll update as the hatch progresses! Any info or advice is always appreciated.
That is awesome! I love the bigger viewing window (one of the reasons I've had my eye on the hovabotor 1588). I'm looking forward to seeing how you do!

Quick update:

Today when I got in, I checked the temps and they had spiked to 102.5 in one part of the bator.
hmm.png
The temp was set to 99.5, so I am not sure what happened. Guess we'll see. . .

After candling again last night I am pretty sure we have at least one more clear. It was hard to tell b/c it's so bright, but it's looking that way.

Everyone else looks good, I think. 14/18

Quick update:

Today when I got in, I checked the temps and they had spiked to 102.5 in one part of the bator.
hmm.png
The temp was set to 99.5, so I am not sure what happened. Guess we'll see. . .

After candling again last night I am pretty sure we have at least one more clear. It was hard to tell b/c it's so bright, but it's looking that way.

Everyone else looks good, I think. 14/18
I found with mine if I didn't keep the mass distributed equally one side ran hotter,, but I have the original 9200 parts...lol After that I tried to keep an equal amount of eggs on each side in similar grouping and it leveled out and stayed fairly even.

I meant to update yesterday. We went into lockdown last night. When we got home a little while ago there wasssss:

Wow, that's blurry. lol But there is a pip!
big_smile.png
squeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm mentally going over everything and second guessing myself.
Should I spray them down?
Is the humidity too high?
Too low?
Is that membrane yellow?
gig.gif

But I guess it's all okay. humidity is between 60-70%, temp is hovering around 98.5, eggs are touching so they can talk to each other
lol.png

Don't suppose sleep is on my radar for the next few days. lol Go team purpley red!
woot.gif

I meant to update yesterday. We went into lockdown last night. When we got home a little while ago there wasssss:

Wow, that's blurry. lol But there is a pip!
big_smile.png
squeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm mentally going over everything and second guessing myself.
Should I spray them down?
Is the humidity too high?
Too low?
Is that membrane yellow?
gig.gif

But I guess it's all okay. humidity is between 60-70%, temp is hovering around 98.5, eggs are touching so they can talk to each other
lol.png

Don't suppose sleep is on my radar for the next few days. lol Go team purpley red!
woot.gif
Awesome!! I can't wait to see how many hatch out!

Back
Top Bottom