Barred Rock - good escape artists?

NightOwl3

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
We are raising a few barred rocks this year and I don't know if it's this is groups personality or typical for the breed. But they are kind of flighty and good escape artists. They run between our feet when we open the run door or they sneak out by flying up really high and getting on the roof. We have Isa browns, EEs, and a couple barnyard mixes and none them are as sneaky as this group of barred rocks! Is this typical of them or do we have a sneaky hen? I have 4 and I never know if it's the same hen that sneaks out or a different one as they all look alike. They are my sons 4-H project and 3 of them will be going to fair soon. I'll only have one left but not sure if I want to keep her if they are this much trouble. I love the barring on them and love there look but tired of chasing this darned chicken all over to get her back in the run!

I even tried chicken jail with them for 2 weeks to see if that put an end to it but nope.

If I were to post about escape artists and flighty birds, I would reverse the breeds! Our 16 week old EEs are the ones who love to fly over the fenced area outside their run while our 16 week old Barred Rocks watch. I was wondering the same about ours.

Our EEs are a nervous breed too but they don't try to escap all the time at least.

Back
Top Bottom