Urgent Info for NC Flock Owners

chick223

Hatching
Aug 25, 2015
Long time reader but 1st post. My husband and I have had a backyard flock for 5 years and appreciate the info that has been available on this site. As you probably know NC is concerned about the bird flu and has requested that all poultry owners register with the state so "they can better protect our flocks".

I work for local government and attended a meeting last week where the local county government agriculture department revealed its plan in case of a bird flu outbreak.

If an outbreak of the bird flu happens, they will draw a 3 mile radius (6 mile circle) around the affected flock and "depopulate" (kill) all known poultry within that area with foam.

Don't worry, they are just doing it to protect us.

The link below alludes to this info.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article31028832.html

I am not suggesting any particular action to take but wanted the info made public so flock owners can make their own decisions.

If this is happening in NC it may be planned in other states.

I will not answer any replies to this thread because I don't want to lose my job.

Google this on the internet and do your own research.

Everyone be safe. Thanks.

I am very concerned about the steps our state is taking lately. Seems like government overreach to me. Can anyone tell me what this "foam" they will use to kill the flocks with and how that works. Thanks.

Pennsylvania has been trying to get everyone to register as well.  Good to know what you're seeing in NC.

Illinois has voluntary livestock and fowl registration as well, and even though it's voluntary at the state level many local communities mandate you sign up if you keep livestock or backyard chickens... Enforcement when mandated by local laws varies by community...

Thank you for posting this information. Although I do not live in an area where the bird flu is a problem I'm still great full that you let people know what the government would do.

I believe it is wrong and cruel. Instead they should just put the 'culling money' into opening a research for a vaccination or treatment.

I have spoken at length with agriculture officials in the state and it is just not true that all of the flocks within a three mile radius will be killed. If avian flu is Identifies, then they will follow the USDA regulations for management.

From the NCAGR website:

Is it true that all known birds within a quarantine zone will be killed?
No. While there will be quarantine/control zones around a positive premise, USDA's prescribed response to an HPAI outbreak does not call for depopulation beyond the positive farm. Nearby flocks will be under surveillance. There are prescribed testing regimens for surveillance and movement of products and birds within the control zone, meaning that commerce can continue for other farms within the zone as long as those flocks continue to test negative for the virus.

I did register with the state (our flock isn't a secret anyway) because although I would be shattered to have to have my flock eliminated due to a positive outbreak, it's our responsibility to monitor for this horrible disease to prevent spreading to other flocks.

I have spoken at length with agriculture officials in the state and it is just not true that all of the flocks within a three mile radius will be killed. If avian flu is Identifies, then they will follow the USDA regulations for management.

From the NCAGR website:

Is it true that all known birds within a quarantine zone will be killed?
No. While there will be quarantine/control zones around a positive premise, USDA's prescribed response to an HPAI outbreak does not call for depopulation beyond the positive farm. Nearby flocks will be under surveillance. There are prescribed testing regimens for surveillance and movement of products and birds within the control zone, meaning that commerce can continue for other farms within the zone as long as those flocks continue to test negative for the virus.

IMO a half truth or failure to provide the whole truth is sometimes misleading, I find this to be true of the NCAGR quote above... There are multiple levels of the quarantine zone the entire zone extends a minimum of 10km (~6.21 miles) in every direction but is broken down into sections... And although it may be true that not every bird in the entire 13 mile or so radius quarantine zone will be depopulated, birds closer to the outbreak deemed to be in a Contact Premises zone very well could be..

Read the aphis Red Book, most importantly the control zone section and depopulation section... Bold highlights by me...

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/emergency_management/downloads/hpai_response_plan.pdf

Section 4.3.1
In many cases, poultry on Contact Premises (CP) may also be depopulated as soon as possible.

Section 4.3.4
If HPAI has not been or cannot be detected on a premises, but epidemiological
evidence indicates that the disease has spread beyond the initial premises, the
premises should be treated as presumptive positive premises and control measures
implemented

Section 4.3.5
Personnel may also depopulate poultry on any CP meeting the criteria for a presumptive case.

5.13 MASS DEPOPULATION AND EUTHANASIA
Poultry on an IP will be depopulated as soon as possible after declaration of an
HPAI outbreak. Poultry on CP may also be depopulated as soon as possible after
the premises are classified as CP.
The Mass Depopulation and Euthanasia SOP
provides instructions for personnel following the declaration of an HPAI outbreak
and the classification of IP and CP. This SOP offers HPAI-specific information
on mass depopulation and euthanasia for poultry, including evaluation of various
euthanasia methods, such as

In short there is nothing stopping them from depopulation of nearby areas if they presume said Contact Premises zone is also infected (note a presumption standard is used not a positive testing standard)... This is relevant in the 'backyard' chicken keeping community were they very well could deem an entire neighborhood as a Contact Premises due to the close proximity of the individual flocks and small property size...

This is not a chicken little sky is falling post, just pointing out the entire truth, read the Red Book posted and linked and make your own informed decisions...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom