White Rock chick I'm hoping is a pullet

cowchipss

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2011
This is my first time with this breed. I ordered 1 White Rock with a mix of other calm or friendly breeds but also added a Meyer's Meal Maker. For those that haven't ordered from Meyer's Hatchery, they throw in a chick that you can donate eggs from. So, when I took my chicks out of the shipping box, I could see that I had two identical little yellow ones and deduced that my meal maker was a second White Rock.

I've never had this breed but have read they can develop faster than some of the other breeds I ordered. One of the White Rocks' comb stands out to me. I'm hoping it's a pullet. I'll keep you posted. They are only 10 days old now.

When I was taking the picture, an EE chick came up and inspected the comb!

[/IMG]

Anyone want to reassure me that White Rock pullets just mature quickly. My first time with this breed, these are hatchery chicks, but one has a more prominent comb at two weeks old. Don't wanna worry too much but may also need to start thinking about a backup plan.

Much to my dismay, the comb on this chick seems to continue to grow much faster than the other chick's. I'll keep posting photo updates and am hoping to hear from folks that have experience with this breed. All I need is for you to tell me they get really big combs, really fast, but they are still pullets. X}~

Don't worry unless it turns red. Not pink or orange but red. Usually around 5 weeks the cockerels comb turns color. Pullets of single comb birds don't turn color until point of lay which is anywhere from 18 weeks to 30 weeks of age.

Since you have two of the same breed to compare, this is what to watch for if you think one may be a cockerel:

Slower to grow feathers, especially wing feathers during the first week.
Larger feet and thicker, longer legs.
A comb that is turning yellow orange, and becomes redder as each week passes. A pullet retains a pale pink comb with no orange tinges until point of lay.
A more aggressive temperament. Cockerels usually are more curious and hyper and impulsive.

I'm getting pretty good at spotting cockerels since MPC has insisted on sending me three of them in the past four months despite my specifying only pullets. Lesson, don't order from MPC unless you want surprise cockerels.

Thanks everyone. I'm familiar with lookin for the comb and waddles to redden when the pullets get close to laying and the squatting. I'll be on the look out for an early change. I'm hopeful this chick is just a big combed gal. It's only 2 weeks old. I know that's it's early to tell but especially because I have rose combs and other breeds, this one really stands out.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom