White Rock chick I'm hoping is a pullet

Keeping you guys updated. This is week five an the two White Rocks are very different looking but no one is red.

Don't worry unless it turns red. Not pink or orange but red. Usually around 5 weeks the cockerels comb turns color. Pullets of single comb birds don't turn color until point of lay which is anywhere from 18 weeks to 30 weeks of age.

They are at almost 6 weeks and have the same color comb. Feather growth and leg size appear the same it's just the overall shape of their bodies and the size on the one's comb.

Here is the more feminine one, it has a smaller comb and a bigger rounder body:

The one that had a bigger comb from the beginning has a smaller more slender longish body. It's comb is bigger but still a nice pale color:

Here they are together. You can see the difference in their body shape and size...

It's the color of the comb, not the shape and size of the body, that is indicating gender. I believe both are pullets. By six weeks, a cockerel would be sprouting a bright red comb by now.

It's the color of the comb, not the shape and size of the body, that is indicating gender. I believe both are pullets. By six weeks, a cockerel would be sprouting a bright red comb by now.

Thanks! If they are both pullets it will be a lesson in variation. They just look so different. Hmmmmmm, maybe they are? One is supposed to be a White Rock and the other is a meal maker..... I just assumed they were both White Rocks when I took them out of the shipping box since the looked similar and a rep from Meyer's told me the usually send another of a breed you ordered for the meal maker.

P.S. Since my tone doesn't come across on the forum, I wasn't saying "If they are pullets" like I was skeptical of your advice. I was just making note of how different they look and that it's interesting that there is such variation in their appearance. I appreciate the advice! I am going to look at the other white breeds Meyer's sells to see if maybe I can ID this pullet as another breed.

White Rocks do not grow really fast. Cornish Rock crosses do. 
I think they are both girls.

Thanks for your feedback! They are 7 weeks old now and still no red comb. The one I was concerned about possibly being male has become quite friendly so I'm hopeful nothing changes about the comb color for months!

Back
Top Bottom