Too losing tail feathers???

roosterstrut

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2015
Wisconsin
Hello, (I've been a member here before just forgot my password and it wouldn't send the email :/)but my barahma/ Cochin rooster lost all his tail feathers and no other feathers. He does not have mites or lice and is perfectly fine. Mates , drinks and eats like normal. What is this? Something serious or just a molt? Thanks

Maybe one of the others plucking him? I have 2 hens right now that have all their long tail feathers missing and my roo is the culprit. He is a fiesty little bugger sometimes.

Thanks for the reply but that's not it. My hens don't even pick at each other. My rooster doesn't settle with my hens picking at him let along his tail. I appreciate the reply tho.

Molt. Sometimes all the feathers go at once, but often, it is tail first-- and it may start to grow new tail feathers before the hackle and body feathers fill your coop~ some can look pretty sad in full molt, if feathers go all at once! Feed him well (not junk food) and he will look just glorious again in a surprisingly short time.

welcome-byc.gif

He's a year and a half I see the tail feathers are like broken in half I see he's plucking them out! I have no clue why I took him to a vet for a check up and no mites or lice what could this be? I've had chickens for 7 years and never have seen this behaviour before . thanks.

Back
Top Bottom