Have two standard breed 4 day old chicks, can I add two 1 day old silkies to their brooder or will t

AshleyBickle

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 14, 2012
Traverse City, MI
so I ordered three chicks from a hatchery.. A lavender Orpington and two salmon faverolles. One salmon faverolle passed a day after receiving it. I had really hoped for three birds. So I have a neighbor who just hatched silkies. I know I shouldn't just add one as it'll probably get picked on by the other two I already have.. But what if I add two silkies? Will they get picked on? The lavender orp and salmon faverolle are already really bonded. I don't want to cause chaos for the silkies if it's a bad idea?

I bet it will be fine. Orps and Favs are generally very docile/tolerant breeds, and you'll be adding the same number, so the residents won't outnumber the newcomers. Just make sure to respect pecking order: if possible, separate the two batches for one day to give the Silkies some time to adjust and find food and water while the Orp and Fav can see but can't peck. After a day, let them all together and they should be fine. A few pecks, perhaps, but nothing too crazy.

Of course, watch closely for the firat day or so to make sure there's no excessive aggression. Sometimes chicks can surprise us. But with any luck, all four will soon be Best Feathered Friends! :)

Back
Top Bottom