How many new born chicks should I add to an existing brooder with 6 2-week-olds

multilayered

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2024
I'm thinking of adding some newly hatched chicks to an existing brooder that has 6 chicks already. The existing chicks were hatched 12 days ago and the confrontational aspects of their nature seem to have already begun to develop. With respect to the success of the operation, what would be the ideal number of newly hatched to add? I figure too few and they could get ganged up on, but maybe there would be issues with adding too many as well - perhaps they would be seen as more of a threat. If anyone has any experience with such, I would appreciate any insights you would be able to provide. Thanks in advance.

I've done it a month apart with no issues. Perhaps if you're seeing problems, the brooder is too small. The little ones moving in with bigger ones would do better in numbers, but I once had a silkie orphan with three 3-week old speckled sussex and she managed fine albeit getting run over a few times. :)

I'm thinking of adding some newly hatched chicks to an existing brooder that has 6 chicks already. The existing chicks were hatched 12 days ago and the confrontational aspects of their nature seem to have already begun to develop. With respect to the success of the operation, what would be the ideal number of newly hatched to add? I figure too few and they could get ganged up on, but maybe there would be issues with adding too many as well - perhaps they would be seen as more of a threat. If anyone has any experience with such, I would appreciate any insights you would be able to provide. Thanks in advance.
I would want the new ones to outnumber the older ones, so more than 6.

Unless you overcrowd the brooder, I do not think "too many" will be a problem. The older chicks will just get used to having lots of fluffy little peeps in there.

I might try a dozen or so new ones, so they definitely outnumber the older ones, but that's an off-hand guess about what might work, assuming plenty of brooder space.

One detail that may matter: you say "newly hatched." If they are at the stage where they sleep a lot and are clumsy on their feet, I would probably keep them separate until they have gotten good at walking and running (that does not take very many days.) If they were shipped, I might have a separate space for the first day or so, to let them warm up and have some good meals and naps before meeting the older ones.

I have done this a few times before and agree with putting more of the new babies in. So I would say 8-12 would be ok

Thanks for the replies. Brooder is 3' x 4 1/2'. I'm using a brooding plate as opposed to a heat lamp. I have an extra brooding plate that I could bring in. I though of adding the additional plate keeping it low enough that only the little chicks could fit underneath giving them someplace to retreat.

One detail that may matter: you say "newly hatched." If they are at the stage where they sleep a lot and are clumsy on their feet, I would probably keep them separate until they have gotten good at walking and running (that does not take very many days.) If they were shipped, I might have a separate space for the first day or so, to let them warm up and have some good meals and naps before meeting the older ones.
👆 I would say this would be only worries about adding newbies to 2-week-olds before they are eating/drinking and fully on their feet.

Back
Top Bottom