Got new 6 week old silkies, raised on medicated crumbles, switching to non-medicated

Saraschickens

Chirping
Dec 8, 2023
Hi! I just bought eight 6 week old silkies from a local person on Craigslist. I've never bought 6 week old chicks before, I've always hatched them myself. My husband and I liked the idea of doing this because we want to travel more this year & wanted get an early start on chicks while skipping actually hatching out chicks this year. So 6 week plus the 3 week incubation, as well as early in the year is a 9+ week early start. Plus, they were local, and they were $10 each! They looked like a half & half males to females too, plus good colors. It was an all around win win. However, when I asked the woman what they were feeding them, she said medicated crumbles. We've always fed ours Ace-Hi chick starter (mash, non-medicated). So I made the switch, today is day 3 off the medicated. They are in a large tote (brooder) in my house now. We have a small enclosure outside our window we usually transition chicks into before officially taking them out to the coop/run. They usually spend the days in there & nights in the house, until they can start to withstand night temperatures. Then I would be putting them in an enclosure within the coop/run to make introductions before actually integrating them into the flock. I've done it many times, and have done many chicks over the years, but have never used medicated mash. I've only heard of coccidiosis last year & had a scare so bought Corid, but never had to use it. I also just heard about putting sand from my yard in the brooder and/or taking them outside young to introduce the cocci. Mine usually start going outside around 6 weeks old just to get sunshine, and have extra space while still coming inside for the nights. So I guess I was naturally doing a form of that without knowing. But I've never introduced them to the outdoors before 6 weeks normally. Sorry for the long intro... now to my questions! Lol!
First, because they were on the medicated mash, does anyone have any advice on how and when to safely introduce them to that outside pen?
I've already started working on their immune systems, by adding Save-a-Chick Electrolyte/Vitamin powder & some probiotics to their first water. After they finished that I gave them Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother in the second water, and today I'm giving them some Rooster Booster Vitamins, Electrolytes & Probiotics in their water. I know the medicated mash could have lower their B1 (Thiamine), so I'm trying to add it back in. I gave them a small amount of egg yolk from a soft boiled egg.
I was thinking if I could add any herbs or spices to their food to improve their immunities (maybe garlic powder...)?
Everyone seems healthy so far, eating, drinking, acting normal. They gorged themselves on the mash so much at first that I had to remove it several times because I could tell they were having too much & needed to drink water, which they proceeded to do. Their poops look good so far as well.
Can I just start putting them out there (in the days, of course), or maybe bring some dirt in? Or wait until they build their immunities stronger?
Any advice on our new members of the family would be so much appreciated! Thank you in advance to anyone with advice or suggestions!

First, because they were on the medicated mash, does anyone have any advice on how and when to safely introduce them to that outside pen?
The feed makes no difference, begin introducing them to the outdoors when you're ready.
Can I just start putting them out there (in the days, of course), or maybe bring some dirt in? Or wait until they build their immunities stronger?
The reality is you're already past the period of building up immunity by early exposure (general recommendation is to start before 2 weeks or so... in my case I start at 2-3 days old). If you haven't had issue with coccidiosis before you likely won't have it now, regardless of what you feed or what you attempt to inoculate them with (only a coccidiosis vaccine would actually do that, all the extra vitamins and electrolytes have nothing to do with preventing coccidiosis). Since you have Corid on hand you are ready to treat if needed. So proceed with acclimating them and integrating as you normally would.

The feed makes no difference, begin introducing them to the outdoors when you're ready.

The reality is you're already past the period of building up immunity by early exposure (general recommendation is to start before 2 weeks or so... in my case I start at 2-3 days old). If you haven't had issue with coccidiosis before you likely won't have it now, regardless of what you feed or what you attempt to inoculate them with (only a coccidiosis vaccine would actually do that, all the extra vitamins and electrolytes have nothing to do with preventing coccidiosis). Since you have Corid on hand you are ready to treat if needed. So proceed with acclimating them and integrating as you normally would.
Awesome! Thank you so much for your advice and knowledge! I really appreciate it! 🙏

What do you do at 2-3 days old?
I brood outdoors. The chicks are 2-3 days old when I get them and are immediately exposed to the outdoor environment. That could be replicated by bringing in some of the outside run dirt in, but I find it easier to integrate the chicks ASAP with the flock so the chicks go out instead.

Hi! I just bought eight 6 week old silkies from a local person on Craigslist. I've never bought 6 week old chicks before, I've always hatched them myself. My husband and I liked the idea of doing this because we want to travel more this year & wanted get an early start on chicks while skipping actually hatching out chicks this year. So 6 week plus the 3 week incubation, as well as early in the year is a 9+ week early start. Plus, they were local, and they were $10 each! They looked like a half & half males to females too, plus good colors. It was an all around win win. However, when I asked the woman what they were feeding them, she said medicated crumbles. We've always fed ours Ace-Hi chick starter (mash, non-medicated). So I made the switch, today is day 3 off the medicated. They are in a large tote (brooder) in my house now. We have a small enclosure outside our window we usually transition chicks into before officially taking them out to the coop/run. They usually spend the days in there & nights in the house, until they can start to withstand night temperatures. Then I would be putting them in an enclosure within the coop/run to make introductions before actually integrating them into the flock. I've done it many times, and have done many chicks over the years, but have never used medicated mash. I've only heard of coccidiosis last year & had a scare so bought Corid, but never had to use it. I also just heard about putting sand from my yard in the brooder and/or taking them outside young to introduce the cocci. Mine usually start going outside around 6 weeks old just to get sunshine, and have extra space while still coming inside for the nights. So I guess I was naturally doing a form of that without knowing. But I've never introduced them to the outdoors before 6 weeks normally. Sorry for the long intro... now to my questions! Lol!
I've already started working on their immune systems, by adding Save-a-Chick Electrolyte/Vitamin powder & some probiotics to their first water. After they finished that I gave them Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother in the second water, and today I'm giving them some Rooster Booster Vitamins, Electrolytes & Probiotics in their water. I know the medicated mash could have lower their B1 (Thiamine), so I'm trying to add it back in. I gave them a small amount of egg yolk from a soft boiled egg.
I was thinking if I could add any herbs or spices to their food to improve their immunities (maybe garlic powder...)?
Everyone seems healthy so far, eating, drinking, acting normal. They gorged themselves on the mash so much at first that I had to remove it several times because I could tell they were having too much & needed to drink water, which they proceeded to do. Their poops look good so far as well.
Any advice on our new members of the family would be so much appreciated! Thank you in advance to anyone with advice or suggestions!
I agree wholeheartedly with what @rosemarythyme said.

I raise silkies and for my own, I don't use medicated, but for any others I do for approx. two weeks. Regardless of whichever, if weather permits, I get them outside asap even if for a few minutes, increasing that each day. Since it's winter and Wisconsin, the ones I have right now in the brooder are barely two weeks old and cannot go outside, I give them a dust bath in a shallow tupperware container with garden dirt. They have a blast in that! It's hilarious watching tiny chicks rolling around in the dirt. ☺️

Also, regardless of which feed, I alternate probiotic water with Nutra Cell water with bottled water, ie. one each day but only for the first week or two. Thereafter, I just do vitamin water once a week as they all, adults and chicks, get fermented grains that have the probiotics/prebiotics in it (the little ones have the dirt/grit so they get some too).

I think you've got everything covered well and just get them out there when you can.

Congrats on the new chicks!

I agree wholeheartedly with what @rosemarythyme said.

I raise silkies and for my own, I don't use medicated, but for any others I do for approx. two weeks. Regardless of whichever, if weather permits, I get them outside asap even if for a few minutes, increasing that each day. Since it's winter and Wisconsin, the ones I have right now in the brooder are barely two weeks old and cannot go outside, I give them a dust bath in a shallow tupperware container with garden dirt. They have a blast in that! It's hilarious watching tiny chicks rolling around in the dirt. ☺️

Also, regardless of which feed, I alternate probiotic water with Nutra Cell water with bottled water, ie. one each day but only for the first week or two. Thereafter, I just do vitamin water once a week as they all, adults and chicks, get fermented grains that have the probiotics/prebiotics in it (the little ones have the dirt/grit so they get some too).

I think you've got everything covered well and just get them out there when you can.

Congrats on the new chicks!
That's great! Thank you! They had their first day out today! They loved it 😊

Back
Top Bottom