First time hatchers and we have a problem...

BakeryHill

Hatching
Sep 4, 2015
Australia
This is our first time incubating and hatching chickens, however we've got a slight problem with the first one hatched. It's a Barred Wyandotte chick and hatched on Day 17 (according to the Brinsea incubator readout). It took us by surprise as we thought there'd be at least a few more days to go. She seems to have a problem with one eye in that it doesn't open. This leaves her always trying to look around the corner - her head tends to turn to one side all the time.

We've now had 3 more chicks hatch of varying breeds but they are all bigger than the first with the one eye. It's clear this one is smaller and the "weakling" of group. We've not seen her eat though we've only seen one of the others eat, but none drink water. I suppose we just haven't sat long enough to see them as they love hiding under their heat plate.

We're wiping the bad eye with warm water on a cotton ball but there's not much else we can do. She has an eye as we can see it when we wipe it. Trying to feed her is fruitless as she just wants to sleep whenever we hold her (warm hands!).

Is there any advice on the above - bad eye & possibly not eating and drinking - or should we just let nature take her course?

It may seem harsh, but it may be better to cull the chick. If it is not eating or drinking then it will die a longer and painful death from dehydration / starvation. I cull chicks for these reasons - theres no pleasure in it, but at least i know that i have put and end to the suffering.

We've persevered and she seems to be getting the hang of things. Aiming for food is a little difficult with one eye and of course she does lots of circles, but other than that she seems to be getting on OK. She's drinking and eating but probably not as much food as the others and I can see she's going to be left behind with regards to development as she's a lot smaller than the others considering she was the first born.

Thats good news - let us know how it gets on in a few months.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom