killing & canning indian runners

cottontail farm

Crowing
6 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Rural NW Pa
I have some extra indian runner drakes hatched this year that I want to process.
Has anyone ever killed a duck using the broomstick method? This is how I always kill chickens and I can do it quickly and competently. I would not attempt this with a larger duck, but think it would work for a runner. The idea of using a hatchet makes me SO nervous. The last thing I want to do is botch it. Thoughts?
Also has anyone canned duck? I'm thinking of putting these guys up as shredded duck meat for sandwiches, tacos etc.
Thanks!

Hello
I use the broomstick for roosters and ducks. Hens and younger cockerels I do by hand. I did a pair of yearling Swedish drakes, and overestimated the force required, and ended up decapitating them. Which was fine, saved me a step, but I got blood sprayed all over my pants. I did a 12 week pekin this week, and underestimated the force required. He had a very thick neck. Took an extra pull, which I felt really bad about, but now I know for when I do his brothers this weekend. The ducks have very long wiggly necks, which can make positioning their head a bit more challenging than a chicken. A second set of hands is a big help.

One difference between the chickens and the ducks is the amount of blood they have. If you let them bleed out into their neck for a bit before taking the head off, you will be amazed at the clot you find. Also their hearts and lungs are quite a bit larger. Either that, or mine had cardiomyopathy. And mine take longer to stop twitching than my chickens do. I just feel weird about scalding something that's still wiggling!

The Swedish didn't have much meat on them, as I'm sure your runners won't, but they were very tasty. I glazed and roasted them, and chopped them up to have with a salad. Ad my toddler says, yumyum!!

Thank you for the advice on this, it really did help to read about someone's experience. I did use the broomstick for one of the runners. I didn't have any issues and it went smoothly. It sounds gross, but I actually aim to decapitate the bird doing this. At least that way I know it's "done" I guess.
roll.png

Wow, you were right about the amount of blood. MUCH more than a chicken.
I ended up making pulled BBQ with the duck - it was amazing!

Back
Top Bottom