How can I get this eagle away?

PerfectPlumage

Chirping
May 2, 2015
Somewhere off with my birds.
We have a golden eagle hanging around my chickens. And we are getting pigeons AND hatching eggs once it's spring again.. How can we get it to go away? It already ate my dear Serama. And a old rooster. I hate that bird. I hate that bird as much as anyone can hate a eagle. HOW CAN I GET RID OF IT?

If you live in the USA ... All you can do is provide protective cover ... If you only have a few chickens it is probably not worth it to have a couple of big protective dog, unless you already have/like them ... Probably gonna be hard, if even possible to get a permit to kill it, I know on certain limited circumstances, hawks can be killed, but ... There is lots of red tape ...

Now if you live somewhere else ... Check the laws!

My brother and sister-in-law had a pair of peregrine falcons nest and hatch three chicks in their neighborhood a couple summers ago. When it came time for the chicks to learn how to hunt they started killing neighborhood cats. One day one of them landed in the yard with my one year old nephew like it was going to go after him and it freaked my sister-in-law out. So she called the local wildlife office and they said the only thing she is allowed to do to the bird is spray it will water. You may want to call your local wildlife office and see it this is acceptable for you.

My brother and sister-in-law had a pair of peregrine falcons nest and hatch three chicks in their neighborhood a couple summers ago. When it came time for the chicks to learn how to hunt they started killing neighborhood cats. One day one of them landed in the yard with my one year old nephew like it was going to go after him and it freaked my sister-in-law out. So she called the local wildlife office and they said the only thing she is allowed to do to the bird is spray it will water. You may want to call your local wildlife office and see it this is acceptable for you.
I know here we can't TOUCH the eagle. Golden eagles are super super rare here.

Not sure if this will work for Eagles, but it seemed to work for hawks around my pigeon loft.

I had a bunch of old mirrors that I put around the loft, aiming at different angles toward the sky.
It seemed to work. I just wondered what the airplane pilots thought????
ep.gif

Sometimes cooping them up for a few weeks teaches the birds of prey that the last rooster was it and there is no longer an easy or any meal here. Like Percheron chick said. Then they go off to the next food abundant location. Hope that helps.

I use aluminum pie pans to deter hawks here.

My grandmother used to hang them in the fig trees to keep all manner of birds away, so I tried something similar when the hawks became interested in my chickens.

I have fishing line tied around the top corners of my 50x50 pens. I cut the pie pans, and twist them into spirals so they will catch light at all angles and hang them from the fishing line. It seems to work well.

Of course, the BEST deterrent is a good, reliable dog, IMHO... but since they can't be everywhere at once, try a bit of aluminum!

Back
Top Bottom