Mr raccoon comes

youtubeminer

Chirping
Jul 1, 2015
Today at night I heard leaves moving and when I looked outside I saw a raccoon just trying to get in the coop and what happen was it ran away but still close to the chicken coop if he attacks will the rooster fight it off because our rooster is shy he runs away from us but will he still fight the raccoon off if it attacks

Relying on the rooster as protection is just opening yourself up to sacrificing your rooster - especially if the raccoon should come calling after dark as a rooster at roost is just another sleeping bird who is no better equipped or more likely to fight than a hen. For protection from duck to dawn a good, secure coop that is not accessible to the racoon will be far more effective.

Today at night I heard leaves moving and when I looked outside I saw a raccoon just trying to get in the coop and what happen was it ran away but still close to the chicken coop if he attacks will the rooster fight it off because our rooster is shy he runs away from us but will he still fight the raccoon off if it attacks
What Kind Of Rooster Is It? & Raccoons Come At Night. And If You Don't Know Chickens Can't See At All At Night, So You Can't Fight Something You Can't See. But I Would Set A Trap Or Shoot It.

If the coop door is secured then a racoon will never kill one of your birds. As far as a cock bird fighting a racoon, well, that's not even a competition at high noon and metal spurs tied to the legs.

I had a muscular 13 lb cock bird fending off a full grown silver backed skunk. He was holding his ground quite well but slowly loosing blood around neck wound. The skunk patiently waited for openings and would attack the neck. The girls inside couldn't find my .22 from house in time (lord knows why it's always in the same place) so I finally grabbed a hatchet from shed and used it to push the skunk out of run. Yeah, I had it arched overhead then thought better of putting a hatchet to a skunk. The point here is a racoon is by far a better predator than a skunk. Hens only have a chance to survive as the cock distracts the predator so they can run and hide. Most often they loose their life in doing so and if in a run there is nowhere to hide. I started using 2x4 wire as a flat apron around run to stop digging predators.

Don't get me wrong, shooting things is fun! But you can keep shooting every predator you see and using your birds as live bait or you can put a 18" wide dig proof apron around run and close the coop door every night. You don't lose birds doing the latter.

BB guns are not meant to be used on anything larger than a squirrel excepting rabbits (they don't take much to humanely kill). A pellet gun with sufficient force can kill racoon. If I remember correctly it's 15ftlbs of force to humanely kill a racoon. That's a .177 caliber pellet of 12 grain and muzzle velocity of 800ft/s shooting less than 45ft away. That would be the minimum gun at maximum distance to do the job humanely.

With a 22 magnum air riffle that can shoot a 18 grain pellet with muzzle velocity of 900 ft/sec like the Hatsan 125 or my Walther Magnum (same gun different brand) your delivering 19 ftlbs of energy at 70 yards. A 200 ft shot with a pellet gun is fun to try but not really for hunting. But a gun like that could take down coyote or stray dog at 100 ft. Easy shot for perfect placement and delivering over 25 ftlbs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom