My Geese lay eggs in November

Renadsof1981

Hatching
Nov 17, 2015
Hello to all!
I am new in this page and I am also new in owning geese and chickens as well.
I am into chickens' raising and having them only as pets for a year now and since April I have also added in my small farm :) three geese (only as pets as well). One male and two females, they are actually Embden breed. I got them when they were just 15 days old (approx) and now they are already really big in size, especially the male one.
So, I have been told that the female geese lay their eggs between the months of March and April.
Mine have started already and I do not know if this is normal or not. The one female started a couple of weeks ago and after laying 5-6 eggs she stopped and then my second female started laying and she stopped as well 2 days ago by giving birth to her 5th egg as well.
As I observe them and they do come to me and like me, I saw that the male is mating with both of them and he is very tender to both of them even if he gets really aggressive towards our dogs or our chickens when they lay eggs but at the end of the day he behaves good as I have found his "key" :) and he is controlable. So, do you think that it is normal that they lay eggs in this period of time?
When do they normally lay eggs and how many each time?
I live in Greece (on an Island) and mainly we have warm weather and a lot of sun. I do not know if this is also a relevant thing with their "behavior".
Thank you in advance for your kind help! :)

Hello to all!
I am new in this page and I am also new in owning geese and chickens as well.
I am into chickens' raising and having them only as pets for a year now and since April I have also added in my small farm :) three geese (only as pets as well). One male and two females, they are actually Embden breed. I got them when they were just 15 days old (approx) and now they are already really big in size, especially the male one.
So, I have been told that the female geese lay their eggs between the months of March and April.
Mine have started already and I do not know if this is normal or not. The one female started a couple of weeks ago and after laying 5-6 eggs she stopped and then my second female started laying and she stopped as well 2 days ago by giving birth to her 5th egg as well.
As I observe them and they do come to me and like me, I saw that the male is mating with both of them and he is very tender to both of them even if he gets really aggressive towards our dogs or our chickens when they lay eggs but at the end of the day he behaves good as I have found his "key" :) and he is controlable. So, do you think that it is normal that they lay eggs in this period of time?
When do they normally lay eggs and how many each time?
I live in Greece (on an Island) and mainly we have warm weather and a lot of sun. I do not know if this is also a relevant thing with their "behavior".
Thank you in advance for your kind help! :)

It is normal for them to lay eggs if the weather changes or if it is always warm. They like to have a lot of light and warmth because young goslings can die from being too cold. You should crack an egg open to see if it is fertile! There will be a bullseye dot on it if it is.

If you leave the eggs in her nest or wherever she is laying them she may go broody, and if it doesn't not get too cold you can let her hatch her own babies! But since she is young she may quit in the middle of brooding or accidentally kill the babies.

Congrats on your geese and your new eggs! Welcome to BYC!

Thank you for your feedback!
I am planning actually to let them brood & having their own babies later on, in Spring time, when the weather is even warmer.

Back
Top Bottom